Cant start 87 XR 600

1 reply to this topic
  • yofrankie

Posted August 18, 2006 - 03:51 PM

What is the trick with this bike? I had an 85 CR500 and even after a top end rebuild and no decomp lever I could still get it started but no, not with this bike. I cannot kick or pop start this bike. I've tried the second gear rock and lean and piss. It has a decomp lever I use and release on the downkick but no luck. Any tips?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • daddyk

Posted August 18, 2006 - 05:33 PM

As a recent convert from two strokes i can tell you it won't matter how big and strong your are or how hard you can kick.I've started every thing from 100 in. Harleys with bad carbs to 495 KTMs. You must use the drill as follows.1 Turn on the gas.2.If you haven't started it in a while lean it to the right about 45 degrees for 5 or 10 seconds, it floods the carb a bit.3 Lift the choke lever all the way up.4 Pull in the de-comp lever kick it through 4 or 5 times 5.Push it through with the kickstarter till you come up on compression use the de-compression lever to take it just past top dead center 6. Give it a nice firm kick with no throttle,all the through and it should fire.I know when I bought mine the guy kicked it twice fired up ran great.I got it home kicked untill I was ready to throw up nothing but an occasional pop. Came up on this site and found these tips and it starts one or two kicks hot or cold
Of couse all this assumes that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the bike to keep it from starting. Was it starting before you got it?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.