Weird Pilot Screw

8 replies to this topic
  • spotsboss

Posted August 18, 2006 - 11:17 AM

On the '07 XR650R, the pilot screw doesn't have a slot in it. To adjust it, the manual says you need a "D Type" pilot screw wrench. Like a tiny (1/8 inch or so) socket with a flat on the side.

What gives here? This is new to me. Any input on where to get this tool or what to do about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

• willnevergrowup

Posted August 18, 2006 - 11:50 AM

Finally a change other than the "bold new graphics"!

Sorry I can't help other than maybe Snap-On or Honda dealer!

Elmer out

• frankiewhipit

Posted August 18, 2006 - 12:22 PM

my sons klx 110 has the same type of screw head, i removed it & machined a slot in it :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 18, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Affirmative, bust out the Dremel and cut off wheel. Grind a straight slot across it and there you go!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:14 PM

They do it in a vain attempt to stop people from messing with the fueling--ya know, for emissions reasons I guess. You need this little bastard:

Posted Image

Or mod the screw so a normal screwdriver will fit (as already suggested) or order a new screw from Honda for a previous year.

• qadsan

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:39 PM

On the '07 XR650R, the pilot screw doesn't have a slot in it. To adjust it, the manual says you need a "D Type" pilot screw wrench. Like a tiny (1/8 inch or so) socket with a flat on the side.

What gives here? This is new to me. Any input on where to get this tool or what to do about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

The EPA and Air Resource Boards do not want consumers making adjustments to the carburetor circuits. Once the factory adjustment has been changed, then the engine may no longer meet the required emission standards. It's a nice thought, but the fact of the matter is there is not a single adjustment that's perfect for all environments. You will start to see more and more of this stuff on other brands of bikes in the near future, but it's been around a while for various types of equipment. I've worked on various other bikes, scooters and other equipment that requires a special D tool for carb adjustments and the XR650R probably uses this same tool.

Some manufacturers have chosen not to sell these tools to their distributors or dealers for retail use because of the potential liability. I'm not sure this is the right tool for the XR650R, but this D shaped tool works on a number of different carbs for me and you can get it from any Elextrolux or Poulan parts dealer. Just ask them for PN# 530035560 and it should cost you $5.11 retail.

Motion Pro also makes a D shaped tool for Honda's carbs, but it's like $75+. K&L also makes a D shaped tool for adjusting Honda carbs and their PN# is 35-9650, but K&L's stuff is usually more expensive than Motion Pro.

• motomonte

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Looks like it's time to do the Dave's mods,it's one of the best mods you can do to your bike.Take the carb apart and while youre at it either replace the pilot screw or grind a slot.Hope you enjoy youre new machine :thumbsup:

• captb

Posted August 18, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I used a peice of brass tubing I had from the hobby shop and just bent a flat on it.

• spotsboss

Posted August 20, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Here's what I ended up doing. I'm out here in the toolies (they use the same sign post for both city limit signs - - that sort of thing), so when I went to the stores (Honda dealer, too) and asked for a D-type pilot screw adjuster, they just gave me blank stares.

So I backed out the screw with a 1/8" flat blade, held the screw in a vice with wood jaws, and sawed a kerf with a fine tooth hacksaw. The brass is butter-soft.

Seems to work fine.

Tip: when you put the screw back in, first slip the spring, washer and o-ring on the shaft. Much easier to find the thread engagement point that way.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.