Does anybody make a street tire for stock size 650r wheels?

8 replies to this topic
  • Toph R

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:03 PM

As the title states, does anyone make an actual street tire, like a sportbike tire in the stock, or close to stock size?

• GetBent

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hey, I am running Avon AM24s front and rear tires on my stock 650r wheels. Handle very well on the street. I would call them 90/10 street/dirt. I run them at 32psi front/35psi rear with super heavy duty tubes. Avon says they are tubeless tires. I only have about 200miles on them so far. I feel really confident leaning to the outside lugs but have yet to run to the most outer nipples,(I am a little bit of a chicken though). I am sure they would ride even better if I had my wheels balanced :thumbsup: Avon says they are race only tires, but mine passed inspection when the dealer looked at them Here is a link to some pics. Also, check out the AM20 and AM21 RoadRunners tires by Avon, nice looking tires. Hope this helps

• cleonard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 10:29 PM

There are a whole bunch of pure road tires available. Due to the rather narrow rims, the tires that I know about are all bias type, not radials. There is a rather wide selection for the rear, and somewhat less for the front. I know the Metzler Lasertec's are available for both the front and back.

Since the rims are narrow (and not 17 inch), I don't know of any high end crotch rocket type radials.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:31 AM

As the title states, does anyone make an actual street tire, like a sportbike tire in the stock, or close to stock size?

Awww, now don't get grippy new street tires & go racin' sprot-bikes and getting them all embarassed~n~shi...

they'll come in here cryin' & whinin' about how you beat there fancy fiberglass boat with your spindly little dirtbike in the corners.

It's just embarassing for them to get spanked by a dirtbike & then laughed out of the room. Be kind to others. *L*

seriously though, i dont know of any real high-end speed rated tires available, but i am sure there are somewhere. I have Avon Distanzia's on the stock wheels of my L, they work great on the road in my opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted August 18, 2006 - 06:36 AM

I bought my R with some Maxxis street tires on the stock rims - they are in the garage now and I could check what type they were. Kinda skinny in the back, though. They don't make very fat 18" street rears.

Based on what I remember, I think this is the tire:

http://www.motorcycl...=647&division=6

matching 21" front:

http://www.motorcycl...=647&division=6

no idea if they are any good - I rode them for 20 miles and put knobbies on.

• MindBlower

Posted August 18, 2006 - 08:26 AM

I have Pirelli Scorpions

• T_Reiner

Posted August 19, 2006 - 04:08 AM

pburke
If you're interested in selling those tires, LMK (pm or email me)
I'm looking into getting a set of 21/18" street tire, I already have the spare wheels. Those Tires look like the would do the job for me

I was looking into the Avon am41/am42 set
they have a few 21" fronts designed for the Chopper guys, but it have a very aggressive thread pattern, Ala" Metzeler style. My only concern is they say Tubeless and the rear is a 150/70-18,, I'll have to see if it will fit without hitting the chain, I don't think I have an extra 15mm, also they are a little pricey

Comments welcome

• pburke

Posted August 19, 2006 - 05:58 AM

the Maxxis are also tubeless, but nothing stops you from putting a tube into them (that's how mine came).

The only thing is that the rear was a MAJOR pain to take off. I cut it up to make it easier, since it was pretty worn out to begin with.

Peter

• rcnutt

Posted August 19, 2006 - 12:10 PM

bridgestone bt45 are'nt too bad
http://www.americanmototire.com/

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.