06 450 Carb Tips?

13 replies to this topic
  • x2stroker

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Anyone know the easiest way to get to the top of the carb to service it? The aluminum fram encases the carb making it difficult to get to. Has anyone discovered an easy method. :thumbsup:

• Budlite

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Pull the seat and tank off.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:14 AM

You have to remove the motor mounts. It's not that big of a deal. 5 bolts is all.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:27 AM

You have to remove the motor mounts. It's not that big of a deal. 5 bolts is all.

Yep, that's the best way, but make sure that you are only loosening the bolts, not the nuts that are nicely embedded into the brackets like I tried to do!:thumbsup: I was wondering why they were so tight!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Yep, that's the best way, but make sure that you are only loosening the bolts, not the nuts that are nicely embedded into the brackets like I tried to do!:thumbsup: I was wondering why they were so tight!

Good point. I held those with a wrench the first time I pulled the mounts off until I realized they were pressed into the mount. :ride:

• x2stroker

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Guys! Now I'll know for the next time.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:48 AM

Good point. I held those with a wrench the first time I pulled the mounts off until I realized they were pressed into the mount. :ride:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I actually got mine to turn a bit too! :applause: :applause: :applause: I'm not totally dumb though, 'cause I only made that mistake once! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NYMXer

Posted August 17, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks guys...................I just learned something! :thumbsup:

• FFRacing79

Posted August 17, 2006 - 06:57 PM

The top motor mounts do NOT need to come off to take the top carb cover off, say for a needle adjustment. Comes off just fine without even loosening the mounts. No need to make extra work. Tdub

• SureBlue

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:33 PM

The top motor mounts do NOT need to come off to take the top carb cover off, say for a needle adjustment. Comes off just fine without even loosening the mounts. No need to make extra work. Tdub

True. And you need to remove the hot start and unplug the white TPS cable plug (not from the carb!)to be able to twist the carb enough for jet access.

• DPW

Posted August 18, 2006 - 05:11 AM

True. And you need to remove the hot start and unplug the white TPS cable plug (not from the carb!)to be able to twist the carb enough for jet access.

I usually just remove the motor mounts in the carb area and loosen the front and rear clamp on the carb and that is it.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 18, 2006 - 06:51 AM

Good point! You only need to take the brackets off for getting to the bottom of the carb.

And you need to remove the hot start

Another good point, I forgot about that!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:22 AM

No technically you don't have to pull the mounts to get at the needle, but I think it's easier than trying to fish everything around the mounts. For main and pilot changes, I pull the float bowl plug, loosen the clamps and turn the carb as much as possible and can get at the jets with a 1/4" ratchet and long socket for the main and a small flat head for the pilot.

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:32 PM

To adjust or replace the needle, all that is neccessary is to take off the seat and tank and then loosen the clamps on both ends of the carb, give er a little twist and that is it.
I managed to move those nuts just slightly too....thats funny, I thought I was the only one!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.