Rear Spring too short?

6 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 17, 2006 - 05:46 AM

The guy i bought my 426 from stated right off the bat that he had cut the rear spring to shorten it because he was rather short and stubby. At first i thought, thats kinda nice cause i have short legs, then i realized the bike probably likes the full travel. Well yesterday i was riding my very short trail and when i went to park the bike i noticed the tire had rubbed on my E-series can. Now i do mostly trail riding and was very surprised that i compressed enough to rub.

Soooo....My question is...would i be able to just purchase a new spring...maybe used from a really nice Thumper friend. or would/should I replace the whole assembly?

Thanks

• ben_suhard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:04 AM

The word is, from the experts, that cutting a spring actually makes it stiffer. Just buy a new spring that's suitable for your weight, they're not too expensive. If the tyre is rubbing on your can, your subframe may be bent, or if not, you can space the can out by putting a few washers or a spacer in there.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:53 AM

cowbell :ride: anyway,i have the stock spring i took off my 05 yz450 before i even rode it so i guess you could consider that new. $50 shipped :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Ben: so you think there is a pertty good chance the subframe is bent? It looks like either the guy i bought it from or the original owner (I'm the third owner) jumped it hard enough to get the tire to rub on the fender... :thumbsup:. what will a new or decent used subframe run me?

Mountain man. I will def keep that in mind. I can talk my way to spending $50 easier than $100 (with the wife)

• ben_suhard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:10 AM

Ben: so you think there is a pertty good chance the subframe is bent? It looks like either the guy i bought it from or the original owner (I'm the third owner) jumped it hard enough to get the tire to rub on the fender... :thumbsup:. what will a new or decent used subframe run me?

It could be, but sub-frames get bent all the time in crashes, and usually guys just bend them back into shape. You should be able to see if it's a bit off centre just by looking from the back of the bike. The rear tyre rubbing on the fender is normal and easy to do, a flat landing will do that.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 17, 2006 - 10:28 AM

ah ok, Since the purchase of this bike i've gotten really friendly with the carb, and valves...but havn't done a ton with the suspension yet. It is really hard to justify spending money on the bike that to my wife "serves no purpose" when we are re-doing a house that we are buying and is taking a ton of money.

I think i may just space out the can and ride it as it for now....the bike isn't exactly a pretty thing anyway, I don't run on the track, and i don't do big air...so it should do me i think..

Thanks, guys :thumbsup:

• beasleys

Posted August 17, 2006 - 01:46 PM

I have my stock 426 spring if you are interested. Make me a resonable offer and it is yours if you need it. I had the up the spring rate on mine.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.