Chain Questions

6 replies to this topic
  • Crash 2006

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I want to order me a chain, but I am not sure which one is the correct one to order. :ride:

What do these numbers mean :thumbsup:

I take it these are different link pitches? If so, what pitch does my 06 take and how many links for the stock sprockets? I want to order a chain from TT, but everyone seems to recommend the Regina O-ring chains, but TT does not sell them.

Thanks...

• barch88

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:24 PM

To be honest I don't know what the numbers mean...I think it is pitch, width, or something like that.

However, I do know you want a 520. The '06 with stock gearing would be 520x114. I just bought a 520x120 and had the shop take out 6 links (I bought it at the shop, and they took them out their for free).

Call TT and ask if they can get them for you, just because it isn't on the site don't mean they don't sell them. If you can't find it, www.motosport.com sells them, and you can get the exact links if you want (520x114). DID ERT2 Gold is a great chain too!

-Mike

• Turismo

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:33 PM

yeah, get the 520, in what ever brand/style you want.
I always get a 120 link chain and break to size. That way you always have spare links.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crash 2006

Posted August 16, 2006 - 09:16 PM

What about front and rear sprockets? I think that is the last upgrade I need for my bike.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2006 - 10:35 PM

The numbers are chain sizes. They are both different pitches and widths. the 400 series numbers are 1/2" pitch, and the 500's are 5/8" pitch. Pitch is the length of the link from center to center of the pins. Both the pitch and the width are dictated by the sprockets, and you need a #520.

• barch88

Posted August 16, 2006 - 10:46 PM

What about front and rear sprockets? I think that is the last upgrade I need for my bike.

Depends how bad the stock chain wore the orginal ones. I would just get all new sprockets, with the chain. I bought my chain right away, so I used the stock sprockets.

• Crash 2006

Posted August 17, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Depends how bad the stock chain wore the orginal ones. I would just get all new sprockets, with the chain. I bought my chain right away, so I used the stock sprockets.

The sprockets are fine, as I have only run about 2-3 tanks of gas though that bike. I was thinking about installing a larger back sprocket. I don't want to have to fly up hills to stay in the power. Today I was riding rocky steep hills in first gear, thinking a larger rear sprocket might let me climb it in second, and if there is trouble, I can shift down???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.