400f vz 426f

6 replies to this topic
  • Kenpo1

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:42 PM

This post is actually written as a question for a friend, I own a 2-smoke, so can't help him much.

He is looking at a 98 yz 400f. Its clean, has some after market bars, pipes (white bros) etc. The guy is asking 2000.00 but will most likely accept his offer of 1800.00 is this a pretty fair price?

Second, he has looked at a couple 426f's they are comming in at 2300-2800. Is there a significant performance difference between the 400 and the 426 to justify the price difference of $500 or more? He is brand new to the sport and just wants to do some all-round riding.

Thanks

• bluebike1999

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Kenpo
if your mate is brand new to the sport i would suggest the 400, if it's in real good nick and un modded.
the 426 is more of an animal, but due to some internal refinements
( strengthened rod and piston and other 'living with' issues) it is likely to be more reliable long term.

the 98 is getting on, if its very low use go for it. again, depending on the condition of the 426's.
some of the 'new' bike issues like hot starting had been sorted by the time the 426 came, so take that sort of stuff into consideration.

my choice the 426 (i own 400) but a new rider...
there are heaps of posts here to research 'what to look for when buying wr4XX'
hope that helps

• Kenpo1

Posted August 17, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted August 17, 2006 - 11:58 AM

I understand your buddy is looking for a bike to do all-around riding.

I would suggest your buddy to buy a WR instead of a YZ. Specially if the guy is new to the sport. The WR forgives newbies much more, specially at low speed because of the additional flywheel weight when compared to the YZ. Also, the WR transmission is a wide ratio transmission (hence the name "WR"). The result is that the 1st gear of the WR is slower than on a YZ and this makes the bike easier for a newbie to control in the tight. In addition, the engine pulls more than snaps. This also has to do with flywheel weight but it also comes from different cam timing and jetting from the YZ...The WR setting is more likely to suit a newbie needs than a YZ.

Briefly, the Wr is more of a good all around ride than a YZ.The later is made specially for riding on a motocross tracks.

Just my humble opinion.

As for the 400 vs the 426, I would not worry too much about the power. I ride dirt bikes for 16 years now and I still haven't found the end point on my barely modified 426. Your friend will never see the end of a properly maintained 400 or 426. If you have a good deal on a 400, tell your friend to buy it and there will be not probs.

The key with buying those bikes is to make sure the maintenance has been made OK. How often oil was changed? What oil did he used (YZFs and WRFs required semi synthetic oil to match with the fact that the same oil lubricates both the clutch and the cams). I've seen guys poorring anything in these bikes so make sure you won't end up with a surprise. Was the air filtrer kept clean? Pay attention to the wheels (rims, bearings, spokes...).Is the suspension leaking? Did the guy even thought about changing oil in the fork since he owns that bike? Any major mods done on the bike that could have affected reliability like high compression piston? How often were the valve clearance checked? How much compression does the engine still produce? Does the owner have any tools?

Get a sense of how meticulus the seller is toward his bike maintenance. If it looks poor, stay away from the bike. If it looks all good, buy it and have fun.

I go as far as introducing myself to the seller as a pure newbie (not like I'm a pro either but anyway) and ask him to show me how powerfull the bike is. Most guys are so proud they will proceed right away. If the guy does stupid things during the demo like firing the bike and wacking the throttle to reach the cut off on neutral right away (while the bike is still cold). You know what you have to do. :thumbsup:

Some guys prefer to buy bikes that have been raced eventhough they were beaten much more than what a week end warrior could have done. Their point is that with a race bike, at least they know the bike was maintained properly. Not telling you to buy a race bike. It's just a thought to tell you how important good maintenance is critical with these bikes.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hope this helps.

• steve lemley

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:19 PM

I agree with math. Buy a wr if you can and get the latest model you can. Its not just the engine thats different the 98's had a lot of problems that were solved in 99 and by 200 the 426's had it all worked out, better suspention, motor, etc. Plus the 426 parts are still completely available anywhere.

• Math

Posted August 19, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I agree with math. Buy a wr if you can and get the latest model you can. Its not just the engine thats different the 98's had a lot of problems that were solved in 99 and by 200 the 426's had it all worked out, better suspention, motor, etc. Plus the 426 parts are still completely available anywhere.

What's cool with the 426 (and I don't really know about the 400) but they can be yz-ized at will. Mine has YZ seat, tank, cam timing, fenders... Those 426 rock you don't have an idea how. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted August 19, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Math, I would love to respond to your comment but it makes absolutely no sence???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.