Used '03 WR450?

10 replies to this topic
  • Cirus

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:10 PM

Any problems with this year? Its got 900 miles on it. Is that alot of miles for a bike if it hasn't been raced? I've never owned a bike with an odometer so I don't know how many miles my '04 YZ450 has on it and its in excellent shape. Were talking about trading and his bike looks pretty stock where mine has revalved suspension, Acerbis tank, T&M chain slider, Dr.D flywheel, FMF Factory 4 w/Powerbomb, ProTaper upper triple, Renthal bars, gold chain, sprockets, subtanks, ASV levers, Acerbis hand guards, Devol frame guards. What kind of deal should I look for? His bike plus some cash?

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Why would you want to trade for an older, slower, and heavier bike, especially when yours has upwards of $1000 in upgrades? I flat out wouldn't trade for it. There were no problems with the WR in 03 that I can recall. If you were to do this, I'd want his bike and a couple grand in cash to boot.

• neilking

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I believe that the '03 had more reliability issues than any other year WR. All related to the electric start and flywheel retaining key. There were several fixes but I believe the most reliable was to upgrade to some '04 parts.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:37 AM

900 miles is nothing! The bike's virtually brand new.

Math: Avgerage speed while on a dirt bike is 24 mph...Take 900 divided by 24 and you get 37 hours.

In comparision my 03 WR450 has over 200 hours on it...reverse the math...that's 4,800 miles.

The early production models of the 2003 did have some starter issues with them. Do a search on "woodruff key" and/or "starter upgrades".

• Ripmeister

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Why would you want to trade for an older, slower, and heavier bike, especially when yours has upwards of $1000 in upgrades? I flat out wouldn't trade for it. There were no problems with the WR in 03 that I can recall. If you were to do this, I'd want his bike and a couple grand in cash to boot.

Amen to this. There's lot's of reasons why you might want the WR over the YZ ( and lots of reasons why you might not) which you didn't get into, but I don't think I'd trade straight across.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sjw

Posted August 17, 2006 - 10:09 AM

Do a search on Woodruf Key and you will find out why you shouldnt buy a 03

• Punisher660

Posted August 17, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Why not trade strait across and take all your goddies with you. Granted the YZ is newer, but the WR cost more initially, and it sounds like it is in great shape as well. The woodruff key was the only issue I remember the 03 WR having.

• dbailey223

Posted August 17, 2006 - 01:12 PM

The woodruff key was it, as far as I know. Best scenario--2004 parts retrofitted after the fact. Probably OK scenario--woordruff key fix done. Is still stock, better be cautious and factor in a doing the cheap repair or getting peace of mind and spending couple bucks in repairs now before it breaks to get 2004 parts. Mine came from the dealer with the cheap fix brand new, and I have had no problems.

• Cirus

Posted August 17, 2006 - 02:48 PM

Its no go anyway. He didn't want to cough up any cash so I said forget it.
I'm still looking into getting a WR. I may just sell the YZ.

• Apriliacati

Posted August 17, 2006 - 05:59 PM

If anyone is interested a friend of mine has a Brand New 2004 WR450, Price $4000 Firm in Connecticut. He bought it with intentions of riding with my daughter and I, it never happened. Its been sitting in my garage, I took it up and down my driveway a few times just to make sure everything stays in working condition. Its listed in the for sale section of this site, you can email apriliacati@sbcglobal.net for pics.

In the garage
2001 Ducati 996S
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R
2001 Yamaha WR250
2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike
2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire
2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1974 Suzuki TM400

• flatnacker

Posted August 17, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Do a search on Woodruf Key and you will find out why you shouldnt buy a 03

Yawn....oh no not the dreaded woodruf key, because as we all know it failed on nearly every bike, and even then it was impossible to fix and dont mention the HUGE cost......yeah no matter what ever you do DONT buy a 03, that is of course if you value peoples opinions who probably also think the moon landing was a conspiracy :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.