Just picked up 2001 XR650L - need ideas

10 replies to this topic
  • Don07DRZ400S

Posted August 16, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hi - I just picked up a 2001 XR650L in damn near perfect condition.
The only thing that I can see that isnt stock is the air filter. I forgot what it says on it but it does say "hi flow" or something like that. I actually took it off and there is a hole in the center of it which may or may not be such a great idea for crap to get in the carb.
I wouldnt mind picking up some cheap horse power if there is some to get.

I dont want to make it LOUD - it has stock pipe with baffle in it - I dont mind it being so quiet - I would go a little louder but not much if any.

Any suggestions? Any free mods? tricks?

I mainly am going to ride on the street and some trails - no crazy stuff as I am an old fart at 42.

Thanks!

Don

• pigryder

Posted August 16, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Hi - I just picked up a 2001 XR650L in damn near perfect condition.
The only thing that I can see that isnt stock is the air filter. I forgot what it says on it but it does say "hi flow" or something like that. I actually took it off and there is a hole in the center of it which may or may not be such a great idea for crap to get in the carb.
I wouldnt mind picking up some cheap horse power if there is some to get.

I dont want to make it LOUD - it has stock pipe with baffle in it - I dont mind it being so quiet - I would go a little louder but not much if any.

Any suggestions? Any free mods? tricks?

I mainly am going to ride on the street and some trails - no crazy stuff as I am an old fart at 42.

Thanks!

Don

In that case stick with the stock muffler, everything else is going to have a very noticeable sound difference, I bought the WB E2 and its freakin loud as hell even with the small tip and spark arrestor in place, but sounds sweet as shit :thumbsup:

• AlbinoPig

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:03 PM

Congratulations on the new bike. You'll love it.

Sorry to hear that you are an old fart at 42. Somehow I've managed to live for 58 years and still be just a kid.

• Don07DRZ400S

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:23 PM

Ok, I am 42 - my Girlfriend is 27 and I am a lead singer and play lead guitar in a popular rock band in my area so I guess I am not really an old fart. I just wanted to put across the message that I dont want it loud. I have had my days of loud camaros, mustangs, harleys.
UPDATE - after riding a little bit tonight, I think that it is lean. I am guessing that after the guy put the hi flow air filter on that he didnt rejet.
Any idea how I should jet this thing?
stock muffler with baffle, just with the high flow filter.
My elevation is 600 feet.
Symptoms;
Idle seems kind of low -
Almost every time I let off of throttle to shift the exhaust makes a very small "pop"
At wide open throttle, it almost feels like it is starving for fuel

Any websites or articles for rejetting? reccomendations?
ALSO - I want more gear. Is it easier/better to put on a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket? I want more top end.

Thanks!
Don (42 and young!)

• cleonard

Posted August 17, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Just do some searches here, there is a ton of info. What you want is called "uncorking."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:07 AM

http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=11416

Do a search also but from what I have read the easiest is to uncork & rejet, which will wake up your L enough that you should certainly feel it.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 17, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Congo-rats on the new bike. I love mine. I am 40, i dont feel old...

The "free" mods you refer to are not completely free, but are extremely cheap. I did all of these to my bike, it wasn’t hard to do, just took a bit of time. (most of which was me finding free time to do it)

1. Desmog - removing the smog equipment. Cost: around $20-$25 for the kit, or make the plates yourself if you have the ability and scare up a couple plastic plugs. (part of that “popping” problem)

2. desnorkle. Removal of the top airbox snorkel under the seat to gain some air flow without directly sucking dust through a similarly drilled sidepanel. Cost: One drill bit and about 5 minutes of labor.

3. Better air filter. I think the Uni’s are around $25

4. Rejet. – Increasing jet sizes in the carb to take advantage of the increased intake air flow & to help cure the overly lean condition of the stock bike (also part of that “popping” problem) Cost: around 10-15 bucks to do it yourself, or $50+ to buy a jetting “kit”.
I would highly, strongly, sincerely, vehemently recommend searching out what is called “Dave’s mods” and doing them. Buying the jet kit from various places is (to me) an obscene waste of money, but that is up to you. You will have equal to if not far better results and spend well less than ½ the money if you just do it yourself. All you will need is a couple of jets from the local moto dealer, a drill bit, and a little washer. Search that out and you will find what you need. There are endless threads on this subject both here and on other forums.

5. Rejeting would be even more effective with a better pipe. More air in needs to be more air out for a balanced system. I know you don’t want much louder, but find someone who has the same bike if you can and see what they have and if the volume is ok for you. I am not an advocate of loud pipes but a free(er) flowing exhaust will help make these simple mods come alive. I have a Supertrapp on mine, a lot of White Brothers & Yoshi’s around too, all seem good, but all are definitely louder (the W.B. and the S-Trapp are tunable by adding/decreasing discs which will effect noise level.)

The front sprocket is the easiest to change. (I flip flop mine often) Dropping to a 14T will minimize the skip between first & second gear but will slightly lower your top end (not much in my opinion, it was worth the tradeoff) I think I heard someone say a 16T is a tight squeeze but I am not positive of that as I geared down, not up. If it is, then changing the rear would be the easier way to go. Which one is better? I doubt it matters as long as you don’t get fitment issues with the chain rubbing on stuff.

Have fun and ride safe, that bike is a blast.

• chicagobikefan

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:18 AM

I made a video a while back of exactly what's involved in rejetting the carburetor to "uncork" it. You can get the jets from a variety of places online, I got it from www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Here's the link:

XR650L carb mods

• justicedone

Posted August 19, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I am 41, bought my bike stock and went a little crazy on some modding. But it can keep up with the younger guys now...ha ha

They even like me leading sometimes, buy my tire likes to throw rocks at them. Some pics in my garage if you want some ideas.

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 19, 2006 - 03:22 PM

Exactly what Happy said.

Also, pick up a service manual. That'll help with most of the how to's with the carburetor mods. This site & others like it can walk you most everything. Just check the archives.

I've got the Trapp IDS2 Quiet Core. Not that loud at all & tunable. After all the mods & rejetting I've done to my Thumper it runs great. No bogging, hesitation or flat spots of any kind.

Have fun & remember riding keeps you feeling young, especially on an All-terrain Assault Vehicle. Keep the rubber side down.

• sweetk30

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:05 PM

nice video. but is it just me or is there no sound?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.