Xr 500

10 replies to this topic
  • gf7duster

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:31 AM

I am looking at buying a mid '80's XR 500.It looks clean and runs god.Were these a good bike?What should I look for when checking it out?

• Huffa 2

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:53 AM

Look something like this?

http://www.bikepics....ictures/225049/

..........or is it have duel shocks on the rear?

• gf7duster

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Yes .Like that .Single shock.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Yes .Like that .Single shock.

Ok, first let me aks a silly question, not trying to sound like an ass, but it is a mid 80s motorcycle, and still runs great, and you are asking if it is a good bike? All XRs regaurdless of size, except for the debate about the RVFC200, are great bikes and the most reliable motorcycle motor design on the planet. I have two, know about 20 people who have had multiple sized ones, and they all never had any problems with them. I think the only problems anyone has ever had with an XR is lack of maintainence related. I personally know a guy who thinks he has at least 40K miles on the first year XR500 prolink! It runs like it is new, and even handles really well. The XR500 was designed as a desert racer and reliable and fast, and hendles well. You can also get parts for it either at the Honda dealer, or the internet, and even EBAY. What does he want for it money wise? If it is under $1000.00 and it is in great condition it is a good deal. Over $1000.00 it has to be perfect like new condition because of it's age, as you can find clean XR600Rs up to about mid 90s for about $1500.00....let me know how it works out....

• Huffa 2

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Here is a link reguarding what to check when buying a used dirt bike + all kinds of other info.

I certainly didn't read the whole thing but it seems to have a ton of info for you.

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see "dirt bikes" on L. Click on that.

http://www.clarity.n...uying-bike.html.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • specialized169

Posted August 23, 2006 - 06:44 AM

i know a guy who has a late 80s model xr 500 and it is a bitch to start the best way is to get is to pop start it down a hill and supposedly the carbs have been gone through i was just wondering any one know if the valves are known to go bad eventually on these things

• gf7duster

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Well this one got away .The search continues.

• Triumphs

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I am looking at buying a mid '80's XR 500.It looks clean and runs god.Were these a good bike?What should I look for when checking it out?

I had an 84 which I rode for years and back before four strokes were common place. A very reliable bike... just kept the oil and filters clean, replaced a few wear items and just rode the thing. I appreciated the rear disc and cartridge forks of my later 600 but it was a capable trail bike and always amazed my two stroke riding buddies with it's legs and ability to put power down and find traction...long before four stroke virtues were more common knowledge. :thumbsup:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:43 AM

i know a guy who has a late 80s model xr 500 and it is a bitch to start the best way is to get is to pop start it down a hill and supposedly the carbs have been gone through i was just wondering any one know if the valves are known to go bad eventually on these things

Does he know the XR starting drill? If not this is his problem, if he does, tell him to set the valves, then jet the thing right, and do the drill. I know two guys who have XR500Rs and they start first kick every time unless they flood them...

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Well this one got away .The search continues.

Used XRs in ANY size do not last long unless the price is ridiculous...

• Docmarkw

Posted August 23, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I had a 1983 xr500r that was a fantastic bike. I had to learn the starting drill and after that it was a piece of cake. I wish I could of held onto it as a bike for friends to get acquainted to riding with. I do miss that big cushy seat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.