YZ400 Gearbox problem

3 replies to this topic
  • kimey46

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:21 AM

Hi there, i currently own a 2000 yz400f and have a problem with the gearbox. 1st and 2nd gear are fine but when i try and select third it just grinds, when you go past third 4th gear seems to be fine. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
thanks steve

• rdefonce

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:29 AM

No, never had that issue. Whatever it is, sounds like it needs a tearin' down to have a look. No doubt it will be obvious then!

You probably shouldn't ride it much, 'cause it could do more damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted August 16, 2006 - 01:46 PM

You likley have a bent shift fork, and need to replace 3rd gear and the mating gear which is 4th I believe. Thats a bad deal, now you have to pull the motor and split the cases :thumbsup:

• tom nolan

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I had 3rd gear go out on mine and it took out several others as well. Also some of the shrapnel hit the crank and rod. I was able to blend out the damage with a sanding disc. When i ordered replacements, i noticed that the replacement gears were shot peened for strenght. I think they realized they have a problem with 3rd gear. If you can do the work yourself, the cost is not that bad. If you go to a shop, your screwed

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.