Cleaning those hard to reach spots

15 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:40 PM

Anyone got any tips on how to get into those hard to reach spots (short of tearing the whole bike apart), like the area behind the cylinder and below the carb? I've got some stubborn mud in a few hard to reach areas that I want to disappear, any ideas would be appreciated.

• tnl

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:11 PM

I use a tooth brush after I soak it with Simple Green or some Q-tips if they are long enough.

• BergArabia

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:19 AM

I blast it with a water pressure spray after every ride before the maintenance routine.. and I use a detergent with it..

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:25 AM

I use a tooth brush after I soak it with Simple Green or some Q-tips if they are long enough.

It seems for me that my sisters toothbrush used to work much better than any others though.......

• BergArabia

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:16 AM

It seems for me that my sisters toothbrush used to work much better than any others though.......

I hope she doesn't read TT.. :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:22 AM

I use a toilet brush. I believe it was new when I bought it. At least I hope it was.

Did you ever notice the small market for used toilet brushes??? It also works well on the chain and hubs when I dont feel like dragging out the pressure washer.

• centermass

Posted August 16, 2006 - 05:37 AM

scrubbing bubbles and a good brush .. works great

• DirtDawg

Posted August 16, 2006 - 05:52 AM

Suzuki Motorcycle Wash, part #SP-5A. Suggested by another TT'er (Indy, I think?), this stuff worked GREAT.

I like to keep my bikes very clean, usually spend a couple hours on clean up. This cleaner cut the time to about 30-45 minutes with just a garden hose and very little scrubbing. It got all the hard to reach spots that are a pain to get to.

Afterwards, I like to use silicon on the engine, linkage etc. to help stop the mud from sticking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:08 AM

Diluted Simple green - 50/50 with water.....
let it sit 3-5min....spray it off - looks brand new. :thumbsup:

• asdfasdfffewg

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:21 AM

My bike had a lot of dirt and grease and crap on the hard to reach places but after riding all day in sand, it was clean as a whistle... not that thats the best way to clean your bike or anything, just thought it was funny.

• WFOracer

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:36 AM

I use this:

They make a bunch of cool tools for MX....head set presses...truing stands.....etc.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:13 AM

I let Simple Green soak on it for awhile and then hit it with a toothbrush. Works great on the hubs also...I never even have to scrub them and they are spotless. At the WORCS race this last weekend the Team Kawasaki mechanics were using Simple Green on everything. I also talked to a guy that sprays his bike down with Armor All tire shine stuf before riding to keep dirt from sticking.

• tnl

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:17 PM

I have a problem with the cleaner I use in that it dry's after just 1 minute or so no matter how much concentrate I use. Dam heat out here :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:28 PM

...Carb Cleaner (Gumout) FTW. Look at my bike (in Garage), see how clean it is...for proof.

• mummer12

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I heard simple green eats up gaskets so i dont use it. i saw factory kawi at hangtownand other teams use mr clean to bling their bikes but i forget which one. anyone know the stuff they use?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the ideas... I'll give the Simple Green/toothbrush a try. The toilet brush is a good idea too, but I know where our toilet brush has been and I don't dare touch my bike with it!!! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.