06 450 Getting Enzo Revalve & Tanks

22 replies to this topic
  • DSMotorsport

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Im thinking about having the suspension revalved and picking up a set of subtanks from ENzo. Im 205lb without gear. Ride C motocross.

Does anyone have experience with Enzo doing thier suspension? Or the subtanks?

Im really concerned with it being plush and controllable in bumps. If I back off the compression dampning to help the bike track straight and absorb braking bumps well, I end up crushing it on jumps and flat landings. With it stiff enough to just bottom on the biggest jumps Im willing to do, Im getting beat down on the chopped up sections.

From what Im reading the sub tanks can give me a little more "have your cake and eat it too" with regards to broadening the range that the fork will work excellent in.

Any advise or experience?

The bike has 26hr of ride time on it, BTW. How early/late am I for the first suspension service?

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Not many people better for YZ suspension than Enzo. Now if I could just pony up some $ without putting it into one of my other toys I'd join ya. I have heard nothing but good things about Enzo Both out in the field and in the mags. :thumbsup:

• CROGGR

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:09 PM

[quote name='DSMotorsport']Im thinking about having the suspension revalved and picking up a set of subtanks from ENzo. Im 205lb without gear. Ride C motocross.

Yes, I'm afraid that I have. I too have heard a lot of good things about Enzo.....however, my good friend had his revalved with sub tanks two months ago. He really liked the way the bike performed but it still didn't turn as well as he would've liked.
I revalved my own YZ (06) and after a few changes had it spot on. I let him try mine and he loved it. Way more plush and more resistant to bottoming. And the bike turns like it is on a rail!
Sooooo, I tore his down to check the valving and found out that the only thing they did to the shock was change the spring. The valving stack had been removed and cleaned but it had stock valving! :thumbsup:
Then, on to the fork. They removed one shim and left the others stock. WOW! His $700 dollars didn't buy very much. I changed the fork to a two stage stack and valved the bike similar to mine. Now the bike even turns like it should. No need to buy different offset clamps. The forks have way too much high speed comp damping and don't settle for turns. He even took off the sub tanks and sold them on E-Bay!
I got to ride another 06 YZ that was done by Factory Connection and was fairly impressed with their work! I would seriously consider having a local tech do your suspension....in person they can't ignore you and will usually valve til your satisfied or til the cows come home...which ever comes first! :ride:

• adamdf

Posted August 16, 2006 - 05:37 AM

[quote name='CROGGR'][quote name='DSMotorsport']Im thinking about having the suspension revalved and picking up a set of subtanks from ENzo. Im 205lb without gear. Ride C motocross.

Yes, I'm afraid that I have. I too have heard a lot of good things about Enzo.....however, my good friend had his revalved with sub tanks two months ago. He really liked the way the bike performed but it still didn't turn as well as he would've liked.
I revalved my own YZ (06) and after a few changes had it spot on. I let him try mine and he loved it. Way more plush and more resistant to bottoming. And the bike turns like it is on a rail!
Sooooo, I tore his down to check the valving and found out that the only thing they did to the shock was change the spring. The valving stack had been removed and cleaned but it had stock valving! :thumbsup:
Then, on to the fork. They removed one shim and left the others stock. WOW! His $700 dollars didn't buy very much. I changed the fork to a two stage stack and valved the bike similar to mine. Now the bike even turns like it should. No need to buy different offset clamps. The forks have way too much high speed comp damping and don't settle for turns. He even took off the sub tanks and sold them on E-Bay!
I got to ride another 06 YZ that was done by Factory Connection and was fairly impressed with their work! I would seriously consider having a local tech do your suspension....in person they can't ignore you and will usually valve til your satisfied or til the cows come home...which ever comes first! :ride:[/QUOTE]

That sounds a little odd, why didn't you guys call Enzo and complain about it? I too am thinking of sending my stuff (06 yz250F) to Enzo. What about MB1? Anyone think they would do a good job on the yamaha stuff? One other quick question for ya CROGGR, which bike do you prefer, the yzf450 or kxf450? You have BOTH, daaaamn.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Im thinking about having the suspension revalved and picking up a set of subtanks from ENzo. Im 205lb without gear. Ride C motocross.

Im really concerned with it being plush and controllable in bumps. If I back off the compression dampning to help the bike track straight and absorb braking bumps well, I end up crushing it on jumps and flat landings. With it stiff enough to just bottom on the biggest jumps Im willing to do, Im getting beat down on the chopped up sections.

From what Im reading the sub tanks can give me a little more "have your cake and eat it too" with regards to broadening the range that the fork will work excellent in.

The bike has 26hr of ride time on it, BTW. How early/late am I for the first suspension service?

My 03 is full Enzo with Subtanks and Ti spring... It is just awesome. They revalved both ends of mine and sent me the stock valving back - You need to ask Ross what they do to the valving on a 06 - first
And 2nd I do not beleive that the 06 needs subtanks as the new 06 fork is not affected by extra subtanks - again talk to Ross at Enzo -

Their services are not cheap - the post above regarding the shotty valving from them sounds strange . But Enzo uses the stock KYB valves and modifies to their spec/results- that owner should call Ross too -

My 06 will be getting revalved soon - please let us know what Enzo tells you for the 06 - I am interested too. :thumbsup:

• WFOracer

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:30 AM

I had a guy in CA do my suspension on my previous bike, Steve at Clean Racing USA. You probably won't be able to find much on the web about them, the dude is extremely busy.

You basically tell him what you don't like about the bike and what your weight, ability, style of riding, etc....and he goes from there. Super nice guy and pretty darn cheap. $100/end for revalve, $30 for oil, $20 for seals, $30 for bushings, and $35 for shipping. Complete revalve and tune for around is not a bad deal.

Enzo is so freaking expensive, otherwise I hear they are the best when it comes to yamis.

If anyone is interested in the address and/or number to call this guy in CA, send me a PM and I give you the contact info.

• WFOracer

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Save your money and get the valving corrected first. I have the exact same problem as you. Too stiff in breaking bumps, yet blowing through the travel on the big stuff. You just need to get your vavling corrected....no subtanks or springs required. Those springs are actually correct for your weight!

• Drfletcherdc

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:37 AM

I had Enzo on my 05 YZ250 and it was just ok. I have Race Tech on my 06 YZ450 and love it. Race Tech is much more forgiving and a little plusher than the Enzo.

• TAC

Posted August 16, 2006 - 11:49 AM

With all the factory set up enzo does I just wonder if it occured to any one that the shim stack in the stock fork and shock may be from enzo? If you want a custom job work with a local reputable suspension tuner.

• DKLEIN

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Try Noleen, Clark Jones dose good work would not ride trals or desert with out revalve :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David37

Posted August 16, 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm very happy with my ENZO suspension, very plush, only had to turn the compression clickers out a three clicks on my forks to dial them in, the rear shock took two clicks before it was dialed in too. All my friends comment how plush my suspension is, I'm running ENZO sub-tanks and I think they make some difference.

• CROGGR

Posted August 16, 2006 - 09:02 PM

One other quick question for ya CROGGR, which bike do you prefer, the yzf450 or kxf450? You have BOTH, daaaamn.[/QUOTE]

I prefer both! :thumbsup: :ride: The 06 KX will be an 07 shortly! There really isn't enough space hear to list all of the strengths and differences but you can pm me if you want. They're both great bikes but I find most of the time I'm on the YZ and my son rides the KX.

• adamdf

Posted August 17, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Sending you a pm now CROGGR!

• adamdf

Posted August 17, 2006 - 06:09 AM

Hey what do you guys think of MB1??

• 116CJ

Posted August 17, 2006 - 06:13 AM

factory connection did an awsome job with mine.

• aedwards07

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Hey,
I would suggest you check out KPS.Mickey practically has probably revalved 90% of everyone in NJ that got their suspension done.He has almost like a cult following with that state.My friend has a yz250(hes the same weight as me) and that stuff rules compared to what it was new.Since you race motocross, im sure you have seen Micky at E-town on a dozer working on the track.

Also I would recamend TBT racing/Keeny motorsports in PA.They are alittle farther but they sure do good work and Brad is a great guy to work with.I had my 06 yz450 and 250f stuff done by him and couldnt be more impressed with it.

I would try checking out both them them before you decide to ship your stuff across county to enzo.Another benifit with a semi local guy is they know that tracks that you ride.Definally a plus when it comes to setting it up correctly.

• DSMotorsport

Posted August 17, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hey,
I would suggest you check out KPS.Mickey practically has probably revalved 90% of everyone in NJ that got their suspension done.He has almost like a cult following with that state.My friend has a yz250(hes the same weight as me) and that stuff rules compared to what it was new.Since you race motocross, im sure you have seen Micky at E-town on a dozer working on the track.

Also I would recamend TBT racing/Keeny motorsports in PA.They are alittle farther but they sure do good work and Brad is a great guy to work with.I had my 06 yz450 and 250f stuff done by him and couldnt be more impressed with it.

I would try checking out both them them before you decide to ship your stuff across county to enzo.Another benifit with a semi local guy is they know that tracks that you ride.Definally a plus when it comes to setting it up correctly.

I see the AHP in your sig. I know Mark through a mutual friend Brent, Iv ridden with Mark (owner of AHP) a few times (his 50 is no match for my 450 BTW).

anyway. There are a few local shops (RRP, Mad Brothers, Kessler), I just through that ENZO was the best yamaha-KYB suspension shop and they would have the most experience with the new 06 yam suspension.

well, now Im more confused than ever, especially after hearing the post about getting back stock or nearly stock setup after paying out $400+ for a revalve.

Now I just don't know what to do.

• aedwards07

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hey,
Thats cool you know Mark.Hes a cool guy.

But really I dont think you could really go wrong with TBT,KPS,or even RRP.I only ever rode one bike my MBR(mad bros)and really didnt like it at all but that doesnt mean that the owner didnt like it.

Try calling each of the companys and talk to them about getting your suspension done and what they think it needs VS what you think it needs and get a price quote.When you call TBT talk to Brad,RRP talk to Mike,and well im pretty sure Micky is the only one at KPS besides his son Kody.

Any chance your going to doublin gap at all this weekend?If so I know a yz450 thats done by tbt you can try.

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 18, 2006 - 04:43 PM

Don't pick a brand, go local. Support your local suspension guy, he will have the best knowledge and be able to work directly with you. And your forks are probably ready for some new oil....mine was black after the same hours. It's amazing what difference fresh oil and a good front tire make. Those 2 things alone, will transform your front end.

• DSMotorsport

Posted August 18, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hey,
Thats cool you know Mark.Hes a cool guy.

But really I dont think you could really go wrong with TBT,KPS,or even RRP.I only ever rode one bike my MBR(mad bros)and really didnt like it at all but that doesnt mean that the owner didnt like it.

Try calling each of the companys and talk to them about getting your suspension done and what they think it needs VS what you think it needs and get a price quote.When you call TBT talk to Brad,RRP talk to Mike,and well im pretty sure Micky is the only one at KPS besides his son Kody.

Any chance your going to doublin gap at all this weekend?If so I know a yz450 thats done by tbt you can try.

Going to Broome this weekend for the national to spectate. Next weekend going to Evansville on Sat night for "supercross" race at night.

Im going to hold off for a week to make some phone calls.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.