One of those ideas you want to take back...

6 replies to this topic
  • Butta

Posted November 23, 2001 - 04:11 PM

Not having ridden my '98 WR400 much in the last 8 months, except for the every 4-5 week trip up and down the street to keep everything in check, I have been expecting something to go wrong. During one of my "check rides" yesterday, the blue beast started acting strange (for the first time in the two years I have owned her). It ran well (once it got started, which took another 7 kicks or so) for only about a minute or so. Then it died. I'd kick another 8 times (or so) and it fired up, after a minute it would die again. I thought, "She's paying me back for the negligence...something has gone wrong, now what could it be...the choke, I left the choke on too long and have fouled the plug." I remembered back to a post I had read on TT about plugs fouling due to people playing with the throttle and thus causing a flooded condition for the next start, combine that with the choke left on too long and you have an incredibly rich environment, not exactly healthy to spark plugs. So I go today to buy a spark plug (first one I have purchased in the 2 years) and go to taking the seat and tank off to get at the plug (glad that changing the plug is NOT a regular occurrance). The fuel hose to the carb comes off, and I direct it to a bowl, only nothing comes out of it. I turn the fuel petcock on, and nothing comes out of it. I turn the petcock to reserve, and I get the satisfying view of streaming fuel. I changed the spark plug anyway, just cause I felt guilty, but I laughed at myself for doubting the reliability of the blue beast....the thing just won't die.....as long as you put fuel in it!!!!!

Again, one of those ideas I want to take back (fouled plug....)
:)

• armourbl

Posted November 23, 2001 - 06:29 PM

maybe that is why my bike conveniently died in front of my house, then wouldn't start again. IDIOT I am....

I will check this tomorrow... I kicked until I broke a sweat tryin to only let a friend take her down the street. Never thought to check the gas.

You are probably not alone.

ben

• yzernie

Posted November 24, 2001 - 05:57 AM

That is as good a story as starting it with the muffler plug still in it!!! I'll deny it till I go to my grave!!!

Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guy

Posted November 24, 2001 - 10:15 PM

:D Ah yes...the Exhaust(muffler) plug trick.....if I had a £5 ($) for every time I have done that then wondered what the hell was wrong with it!!!!!
I'd like to say we live and learn..but I'm not so sure I do! :) :D

• xrracer36

Posted November 26, 2001 - 04:49 AM

i did that once (well only once on the yamathumperanyways) in the middle of a harescramble. i dumped it on a huge, steep hill, and turned the gas off so i didn't spill it all over myself whilst wrestling the bike off of the grade i was on. got to the bottom. kicked it. nothing. again... nothing. hot-start, kick, idle, hotstart off, give it gas... dies. again...again...finally i realize my mistake. didn't turn the gas back ON when i got to the bottom. there were a dozen kicks i could have done without, being as i was already exhausted from being in the middle of a two-hour harescramble.
:)

• The_Missile

Posted November 27, 2001 - 02:48 AM

My personal faves :
- the one where the spark plug connector is dangling down the side of the engine.....
- running out of gas, switching the petcock to reserve and kicking the crap out of it until I realised.... my first petcock position was already the reserve! I managed to do that one twice in a row ! :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted November 27, 2001 - 08:25 AM

Remins me of the good ol day's when I first got my WR and nailed my wife between the eyes with a giant orange muffler plug with a "Remove Before Flight" flag attached to the end of it. Amazing how far those things will fly if you put enough leg into it......

Bonzai :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.