Broken Chain and countersprocket

20 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well yesterday I was cruising in the hills when my chain snapped while i was just holding a nice low steady 2nd gear throttle. Immediatly I checked my cases to see if there was any damage or oil leaking out after seeing all the horror stories at Thumpertalk but very luckily it was all good. It broke right at the masterling but the clip was still on and the solid plate was still intact but there was no pin in sight and the backside of the masterlink the plate was broken. It also broke a tooth off my JT steel countersprocket. I had built up my drivetrain to be as strong and beefy and reliable as I could but I guess one stray rock ended up jamming in between the masterlink and counter sprocket which led the the snap. Does this sound right? I had one of the strongest and reliable set ups and a rock broke it? I was running a 13 tooth jt steel counter and a 51 tooth jt steel rear with a heavy duty Krause O-ring chain. Also would a masterlink from a different brand o-ring chain work? I called all the local shops and checked a few internet stores and none of them carry any krause products and some of the local shops have never even heard of Krause.

Any help with finding a Krause masterlink or any good suggestions would be very appreciated
Thanks

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:44 PM

I had one of the strongest and reliable set ups and a rock broke it? I was running a 13 tooth jt steel counter and a 51 tooth jt steel rear with a heavy duty Krause O-ring chain.

JT sprockets and Krause chain? Not exactly what I would consider to be the strongest or most reliable, not by a longshot.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I haven't heard of it either. I'd suggest you toss it and spend $65 on a Regina ORN6 and get a chain that you can depend on for the next 18 months or more.

• kid on a 426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:48 PM

JT sprockets and Krause chain? Not exactly what I would consider to be the strongest or most reliable, not by a longshot.

Jt sprockets are as strong as ironman they are just a lot heavier. And the krause chain is definately better than junk chains like primary drive

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Jt sprockets are as strong as ironman they are just a lot heavier. And the krause chain is definately better than junk chains like primary drive

Don't get defensive. Just because the sprockets are steel doesn't make them strong, but the sprockets weren't the issue here. The chain was. Like Gray said, Regina ORN6. I personally have issues with o-ring chains despite knowing better so I run a Regina RX3 chains.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I run strictly Regina O-ring chains, and have had good luck (until recently) with Ironman "sproackets" (as BVD calls them) in the past.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:02 PM

"sproackets" (as BVD calls them).

I have no idea what you are talking about.

• barch88

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about.

You were too late on the ninja edit and or spell check...

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:06 PM

You were too late on the ninja edit and or spell check...

Prove something! You can't! I see nothing here that would suggest such a thing. :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:07 PM

I rugan strigractly Regigna O-rikmng chaikns, anfd hayuve habd goovbd ljkuck (unjektil reckrently) wiafth Irohknman "sproackets" (as BVD calwls thjeem) ihn tjhe paewst.

Look at TFB's spelling for crying out loud! That's just plain butchery! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I haven't heard of it either. I'd suggest you toss it and spend $65 on a Regina ORN6 and get a chain that you can depend on for the next 18 months or more.

Krause is the owner of the company Sidewinder. http://sidewinder.se...eries-chain.htm This is the cahin I have. They are very nice chains it's just that they are hard to find. Now back to my question, would I be able to put on a different brand masterlink?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Krause is the owner of the company Sidewinder. http://sidewinder.se...eries-chain.htm This is the cahin I have. They are very nice chains it's just that they are hard to find. Now back to my question, would I be able to put on a different brand masterlink?

If we have never heard of the company, how would we know if you could run a different master link with their chain? :thumbsup:
I see a phone call in your future. :ride:

• barch88

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Look at TFB's spelling for crying out loud! That's just plain butchery! :ride:

It must be t3h h4x0rz... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TimFurryBalls:
"I rugan strigractly Regigna O-rikmng chaikns, anfd hayuve habd goovbd ljkuck (unjektil reckrently) wiafth Irohknman "sproackets" (as BVD calwls thjeem) ihn tjhe paewst."

Look at TFB's spelling for crying out loud! That's just plain butchery! :thumbsup:

You sure? Looks like Icelandic to me.

Kid:

Sidewinder chains and those made under the parent company's name ( I think I do recall it now, but it's interesting what you get from Google when you try "krause chain") are not sold in shops very often. That's their marketing strategy, and if you want service on their product, I think you'll have to go to the source.

Your "stray rock" theory sounds a bit "grassy knoll-ish". The culprit was more likely a too tight chain.

• kid on a 426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Your "stray rock" theory sounds a bit "grassy knoll-ish". The culprit was more likely a too tight chain.

I know the rock thing sounds crazy but I'm 100% sure that the chain wasn't too tight. About twenty minutes before the chain broke we were sitting at the truck and my friend pointed out that my chain was a bit on the loose side I was thinking about adjusting it before the next ride because my friend had also brought a lift stand but we were only going to go on 1 more ride so i left it alone. I also know that i didn't break because of a weak spot because like I said before i was hardly above idle when it broke. Also the plate that was still intact was bent outward and the other side looked to be broken sideways. So the only thing I could think of was a rock or something hard enough to break a chain and sprocket got jammed in there.

• dirkdelaney3t

Posted August 15, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Ironman sprockets are much stronger than any other on the market, and the fact they are warrantied for a year makes them the best choice period. Contact Nate@dirttricks.com and he will hook you up.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:32 PM

You are such a C---Ring!

• skipn8r

Posted August 16, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Look at TFB's spelling for crying out loud!

:thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause:

• DigilubeJay

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Vic Krause, at Sidewinder Sprockets has a website and phone numbers for contact.
He often will produce chains with oversized pins and bushings, so using another brand master link is not an option.
Call them up and they can get you the proper master link.

Good idea to measure several sections of that chain to see if any sections are longer than spec., or if there is a section/s that measure differently. If so, you may want to consider a whole new chain.
More than likely a chain that has seen such an event is no longer serviceable.

Keep in mind that many riders use aluminum sprockets and standard chains and get lots of good miles out of them. Proper adjustments and maintenance are the keys to chain drive longevity. Not super hard gimmicks.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 16, 2006 - 07:28 PM

You are such a C---Ring!

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :ride: :applause:

I only use the Regina ORN6...and spell check!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.