Mxer's using steering stabilizers?

23 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:51 AM

Are any of you who ride mx only using a stabilizer? I noticed a guy at my local track had a stabilizer. I didn't get a chance to ask him if he rode mx only...but coincidently, later that day I heard one of the announcers at the x games mention that a lot of the freestyle guys use stabilizers. I could use some help at the end of the day when our track is a sandy rutted mess.

• Wyatt

Posted August 15, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I hear that some of the factory guys use them also for MX. Some of them are trick units that are completely out of sight behind the number plate.

I would like to try one also.

• aedwards07

Posted August 15, 2006 - 06:31 AM

I had one on my old 250f if that counts.I am hopeing to get 2 of those RTT ones that are like part of the tripple clamp.They are really nice untis.

You do get made fun of by MXers for running one until they try it and then they want one also.I also only run MX.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:04 AM

I use one and so does Justin Buckelew. He runs a Scotts with a bar pad on top of it.

• flyinguitars

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:28 AM

I use one and so does Justin Buckelew. He runs a Scotts with a bar pad on top of it.

Are you happy with it?
My home track has a deep sand section that gets whooped and rutted by 10am. It's a series of three straights that are probably 100 yards each. The whoops in the section are 3 or 4' high and spaced out just a little longer that a full size bike. So, you have to blitz it in 3rd or 4th wide open, or sit down and idle thru it in 1st like grandma on sunday. The sand is sugar sand and new ruts are there every new lap. It's a great section and I go thru it fast when I'm fresh......but by mid-day, I wish it wasn't there and I end up coasting thru it. I noticed the guy with the stabilizer was hauling thru it everytime, but I was a little faster than him around the rest of the track....it go me thinking about the stabilizer.

• 642MX

Posted August 15, 2006 - 10:17 AM

I rode a KTM with one the other day. I'm so impressed that I will have one as soon as I get the cash. It was a GPR mounted on top of the bars.

• Thumper38

Posted August 15, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Do they make a very small version? like the ones used by the factory guys! can we buy those if so who makes it?

• TimFurryBalls

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Thanks to Dave at MRD I was able to test one at a very rough Glen Helen. It was very nice. I had absolutely no arm pump. The RTT unit is very trick, with a thumb adjuster and tucked neatly away. I can't stand the Scott's one. They really make you look like an offroader. However Scott's does offer a fender mounted one now, but it just looks so huge.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Thanks to Dave at MRD I was able to test one at a very rough Glen Helen. It was very nice. I had absolutely no arm pump. The RTT unit is very trick, with a thumb adjuster and tucked neatly away. I can't stand the Scott's one. They really make you look like an offroader. However Scott's does offer a fender mounted one now, but it just looks so huge.

You say 'offroader' like it's a bad thing.

• Thumper38

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Can you buy this and or where?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:37 PM

I would love a stabilizer but am unwilling to have that huge thing sitting on top of my bars waiting to crack my sternum wide open. I haven't seen the RTT unit but am intrigued. I'll Google it. Thanks TFB.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:41 PM

http://www.rttmotors...yz_250_2001.htm

That thing is trick! I likes.

• rafourstroker

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:41 PM

I wouldn't ride a bike without one, I think Renthal makes a Pad for a bar that goes over the stabilizer to give the rider protection for the rental bars.

• Kyle Prior

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:58 PM

I already have the mount welded on my bike and everything for the Scott's, so I think I'll buy it, but I'm a desert guy..

• probracing1

Posted August 15, 2006 - 01:05 PM

I just got one of these for my Scotts: Damper Pad

I have both the RTT and the Scotts. IMO the Scotts is head and shoulders above the RTT (unfortunately)

• jeffboyd47m

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:27 PM

I have had my ass saved several times because of my stab. Riding with one is as smart as putting on your helmet, boots and gloves. Don`t Ride Without One!

• Drfletcherdc

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Are you happy with it?
My home track has a deep sand section that gets whooped and rutted by 10am. It's a series of three straights that are probably 100 yards each. The whoops in the section are 3 or 4' high and spaced out just a little longer that a full size bike. So, you have to blitz it in 3rd or 4th wide open, or sit down and idle thru it in 1st like grandma on sunday. The sand is sugar sand and new ruts are there every new lap. It's a great section and I go thru it fast when I'm fresh......but by mid-day, I wish it wasn't there and I end up coasting thru it. I noticed the guy with the stabilizer was hauling thru it everytime, but I was a little faster than him around the rest of the track....it go me thinking about the stabilizer.

I love it. Sometimes you think that it is not working or you don't need it until the pin falls out and then you are like &%$#@!? Works great, keeps your front wheel planted a little more. I cut out the bar pad that came with the bike and zip tied it to the handlebars. It looks great.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:07 PM

I love it. Sometimes you think that it is not working or you don't need it until the pin falls out and then you are like &%$#@!? Works great, keeps your front wheel planted a little more. I cut out the bar pad that came with the bike and zip tied it to the handlebars. It looks great.

We need a picture.

• 02YZ426

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:03 PM

http://www.rttmotors...yz_250_2001.htm

That thing is trick! I likes.

Yep thats trick alright! Now I want one! $599 though, and I dont see one listed for an 06 YZ450

• motobark

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Here's a previous thread...
http://www.thumperta...97&parentpage=2

As far as I'm concerned there is no other stabilizer to consider other than a Scotts. It's kinda like the difference between riding in lineman boots (for those old enough to remember) or Tech 8's. They're both boots, and they both protect your feet, but I wouldn't dare ride in lineman boots when I can get real riding boots instead.

Here's how I've mounted mine with both a Renthal and a Protaper setup. I don't like the idea of the damper uncovered, I wouldn't want an imprint of it in my chest. I bought one of the covers that Dan sells at Dirt Bike Gear and cut up the stock ProTaper cover to made it look a little better. For those of you that are tall and would like a taller bar setup, I would think the SUB mount would be perfect.

Just buy a Scotts, if you don't like it (it's possible but not likely) at least you can sell it easily. BTW, back to the original question, I MX and if that's all I rode I'd still have a damper. They're awesome in fast sections and you can charge through whoops much faster. My '03 did need a lot of headshake help from the damper (on high speed off-road stuff) so if I was on an MX track doing a lot of jumps and tricks I would turn it back down a little.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.