Mxer's using steering stabilizers?

Are any of you who ride mx only using a stabilizer? I noticed a guy at my local track had a stabilizer. I didn't get a chance to ask him if he rode mx only...but coincidently, later that day I heard one of the announcers at the x games mention that a lot of the freestyle guys use stabilizers. I could use some help at the end of the day when our track is a sandy rutted mess.

I had one on my old 250f if that counts.I am hopeing to get 2 of those RTT ones that are like part of the tripple clamp.They are really nice untis.

You do get made fun of by MXers for running one until they try it and then they want one also.I also only run MX.

I use one and so does Justin Buckelew. He runs a Scotts with a bar pad on top of it.

Are you happy with it?

My home track has a deep sand section that gets whooped and rutted by 10am. It's a series of three straights that are probably 100 yards each. The whoops in the section are 3 or 4' high and spaced out just a little longer that a full size bike. So, you have to blitz it in 3rd or 4th wide open, or sit down and idle thru it in 1st like grandma on sunday. The sand is sugar sand and new ruts are there every new lap. It's a great section and I go thru it fast when I'm fresh......but by mid-day, I wish it wasn't there and I end up coasting thru it. I noticed the guy with the stabilizer was hauling thru it everytime, but I was a little faster than him around the rest of the track....it go me thinking about the stabilizer.

Thanks to Dave at MRD I was able to test one at a very rough Glen Helen. It was very nice. I had absolutely no arm pump. The RTT unit is very trick, with a thumb adjuster and tucked neatly away. I can't stand the Scott's one. They really make you look like an offroader. However Scott's does offer a fender mounted one now, but it just looks so huge.

Thanks to Dave at MRD I was able to test one at a very rough Glen Helen. It was very nice. I had absolutely no arm pump. The RTT unit is very trick, with a thumb adjuster and tucked neatly away. I can't stand the Scott's one. They really make you look like an offroader. However Scott's does offer a fender mounted one now, but it just looks so huge.

You say 'offroader' like it's a bad thing.

Can you buy this and or where?

Are you happy with it?

My home track has a deep sand section that gets whooped and rutted by 10am. It's a series of three straights that are probably 100 yards each. The whoops in the section are 3 or 4' high and spaced out just a little longer that a full size bike. So, you have to blitz it in 3rd or 4th wide open, or sit down and idle thru it in 1st like grandma on sunday. The sand is sugar sand and new ruts are there every new lap. It's a great section and I go thru it fast when I'm fresh......but by mid-day, I wish it wasn't there and I end up coasting thru it. I noticed the guy with the stabilizer was hauling thru it everytime, but I was a little faster than him around the rest of the track....it go me thinking about the stabilizer.

I love it. Sometimes you think that it is not working or you don't need it until the pin falls out and then you are like &%$#@!? Works great, keeps your front wheel planted a little more. I cut out the bar pad that came with the bike and zip tied it to the handlebars. It looks great.

Here's a previous thread...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356497&parentpage=2

As far as I'm concerned there is no other stabilizer to consider other than a Scotts. It's kinda like the difference between riding in lineman boots (for those old enough to remember) or Tech 8's. They're both boots, and they both protect your feet, but I wouldn't dare ride in lineman boots when I can get real riding boots instead.

Here's how I've mounted mine with both a Renthal and a Protaper setup. I don't like the idea of the damper uncovered, I wouldn't want an imprint of it in my chest. I bought one of the covers that Dan sells at Dirt Bike Gear and cut up the stock ProTaper cover to made it look a little better. For those of you that are tall and would like a taller bar setup, I would think the SUB mount would be perfect.

Just buy a Scotts, if you don't like it (it's possible but not likely) at least you can sell it easily. BTW, back to the original question, I MX and if that's all I rode I'd still have a damper. They're awesome in fast sections and you can charge through whoops much faster. My '03 did need a lot of headshake help from the damper (on high speed off-road stuff) so if I was on an MX track doing a lot of jumps and tricks I would turn it back down a little.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg