Wanna ruin a CRF owners day?

37 replies to this topic
  • ThompsonV311

Posted August 18, 2006 - 01:53 PM

:thumbsup:

hmmm I guess I better save up for an Alu frame bike.
I like my YZ plenty but it sounds like the Alu frame and different weight distribution, and new suspension really makes a big difference.

But what about those of us who just play around and don't do cross. Will it make that much difference?

100% better. The only thing you will be disapointed with is that you didn't get one sooner! :ride:

• jamiehughes

Posted August 18, 2006 - 07:39 PM

the only thing i don't like about my 06 is it seems like the rims are made out of a cheaper material, i have already flatspotted mine pretty good in a couple of spots. my 01 yz250 also had excel's on it and they were a little flat here and there but not like these on the 06. i don't even remember hitting anything that hard yet. i dont think that i'm messing up the jumps any worse than i was on the 01. who knows, anyone else have this problem. spokes are good, i check them a bunch. tech at the bike shop told me i had overtightned the rim clamp :thumbsup: but even after they fixed it. it still has some new spots. :ride: i'm not complaining the bike is still awesome. i've never had a 4 stroke before this and now i see no reason to go back to a 2 smoker.

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 18, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Can't really call that a problem with the Yami, that an issue with Excel. I actually never even rode mine with the stock Excels. As soon as I got it into the garage I swapped them out for some Black ones. I race desert so I dumped the 19 in rear for an 18 inch. I run the Maxxis Dersert cross IT's, which have a stiffer casing to help with rock strikes. I have quite a few races on mine since Feb, and my wheels are perfectly straight. And thats not from lack of speed either :thumbsup: . What pressure do you run? I usually run 17-19 F/R. If you did overtighten the rim clamp the Aluminum was over stressed and will never be as strong as new again :ride: .

• jamiehughes

Posted August 18, 2006 - 08:35 PM

it sure didn't seem like i tightened them too much, i changed tires on my 01 yz250, like 10 times front and back and never had a problem. i generally run from 14 to 16 lbs of pressure. even one of the techs seemed pretty suprised. he said he thought that the stock yamaha excel's were made out of a little better grade of alum than the aftermarket excel's. don't know how true that is. but my 01's definetely held up better. i agree it's a problem with excel not the bike, but they are on the bike from the factory. still wouldn't trade the bike for anything else,except for maybe that white 07. :thumbsup:

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 18, 2006 - 09:15 PM

The stock Excels are the same as any other Excels. Besides the point though. Alum has it advantages and disadvantages. It is very light but once it is over stressed it becomes weak. Before I had the 18 in rear and Maxxis Desert tires on my 04, I found that I did recieve alot of rim strikes. I talked to Ty Davis at a local race and he explained to me about running an 18 in rear. It is a higher profile tire giving you more rubber between the rock and rim. He even actually runs a 20 in front. Not much selection in tires there though.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 19, 2006 - 04:53 AM

i'm not having a problem with the rear rim, just the front. the rear is just like brand new still. i've only got 7 hours on the bike. oh well such is life.

• mike_dean

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:19 AM

You know what I like about my buddys 03 CRF, I'm already warmed up and have ridden 10 laps and I pull back in the pits and he has given up kicking his honda and is loading it up to go home (no compression, intake valves). Watching him kick his bike off the stand swearing was worth riding my '00 426 for the last 520 hrs with no engine failures. Mike

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:35 AM

You know what I like about my buddys 03 CRF, I'm already warmed up and have ridden 10 laps and I pull back in the pits and he has given up kicking his honda and is loading it up to go home (no compression, intake valves). Watching him kick his bike off the stand swearing was worth riding my '00 426 for the last 520 hrs with no engine failures. Mike

Preach on Brother! :ride: :thumbsup:

• dirtflea

Posted August 19, 2006 - 11:04 AM

The 06 are both good bikes - but for any rider that is intermediate or above rider/racer both need attention.....as well as RMZ's and KXF's

the CRF has terrible front end push - not just from a 742 tire, chuggy power - ole style 4stroke power

the YZF has terrible stock bar position, chain, jetting, tires - but it has a much linear, smoother (from new counterbalancer) - power - it is easier to ride faster and ride faster longer. The suspension blows away the Honda...and every other 450

The YZF is easy to fix - just cost money
the CRF is a pain in the @$$ to correct the push...a problem since 2002

my 2cents

The best way to cure the CRF push is to have the suspension set up right for your weight. My bike pushed off the showroom floor, Independent suspension did the suspension work and now it tracks like a bike should. The CRF 450 is a better bike in the twisties than the 426, the power is more controllable and metered espeacially in rocks. The Yamaha has more plush suspension and more over rev on top. I have ridden both bike in the desert and in single track conditions, I prefer the Honda overall, but the YZ has its advantages. The YZ will run longer with less maintenence than the Honda, that is a fact. I haven't riden a YZ 450 yet so I cant compare it to the Honda.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThompsonV311

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:17 PM

The CRF 450 is a better bike in the twisties than the 426, the power is more controllable and metered espeacially in rocks. I haven't riden a YZ 450 yet so I cant compare it to the Honda.

Umm yeah... thats what this thread is about. The 2 450's. Hmmm where did that 426 talk come into play? :thumbsup:

• Thunderbug

Posted August 19, 2006 - 06:21 PM

Pushing?

Drop the front end 7mm and set race sag correctly, if you can't even do that than go buy a Yamaha....

Cause Team Honda don't want or need ya.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 19, 2006 - 07:23 PM

it's funny how many honda riders monitor the yz forums?? i haven't even had an urge to go check out their forums. maybe i should. i guess not, just don't care.

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Pushing?

Drop the front end 7mm and set race sag correctly, if you can't even do that than go buy a Yamaha....

Cause Team Honda don't want or need ya.

#3 CRFer OWNED!! woo hoo So easy to get these guys panties twisted up! They even bash on eachother. Team Honda huh? Who is this guy? Do you ride for team Honda? Can I get an autograph? :thumbsup:

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:35 PM

it's funny how many honda riders monitor the yz forums?? i haven't even had an urge to go check out their forums. maybe i should. i guess not, just don't care.

No kidding, I bet they snoop around in their sisters diary too! :thumbsup:

• Thunderbug

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:37 PM

All posts get listed on the "latest" function search.
And with a ridiculous title to a thread like "how to ruin a CRF owners day", of course some ART* pilots are going to check in and sound off.

The CRF is a badass machine, anybody that knocks it doesn't know what they're doing or doesn't know what they're talking about. :applause: :ride: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Theres some cute little pictures for those that can't read.

*angry red tractor :thumbsup:

• ThompsonV311

Posted August 19, 2006 - 10:53 PM

Umm excuse me OWNED: I Never said a CRF is not a badass machine, just that the YZ is Badder Ass! I do know what I'm doing, I probably have more days practicing or racing a bike in 1 year than you have in 10. oh and about that autograph. Thanks! "I met an ART* pilot!"

• Heckler

Posted August 20, 2006 - 12:14 AM

I will give my opinion. I used to ride a '03 YZ450 and that bike was a monster, the '06 YZ450 is a completely different bike, Yamaha changed everything I didnt like about my '03 with the new bike, with one exception, it's still a tall bike. I now ride a CRF250X with a 270 big bore kit and I am faster and ride more tight and nasty single track than I ever would on my 450. Everyone is different, you body is different, your own center of gravity is different even if your the same size. The Honda fits me better, I was a die hard Yamaha guy but the Honda had a lower seat height and the motor in the '03 YZ450 Just wore me out. I got arm pump within 15 minutes of riding, thats why I switched to the 250 and I can ride all day long. The thing is if your bike fits you and it handles for you then you are on the right machine, but that doesnt mean it is the right bike for someone else. All the big brands make great bikes now days, it's just what fits you best and you are most comfterble on. I never thought I would own a Honda, but for now there is nothing that I can find that fits me as well as my 250X for the type of riding I do, if I was in the market for a second bike I would probably get a '06 YZ450F for more open riding, but I will wait for the fuel injected models to come out. Now play nice!

• Thunderbug

Posted August 20, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Umm excuse me OWNED: I Never said a CRF is not a badass machine, just that the YZ is Badder Ass! I do know what I'm doing, I probably have more days practicing or racing a bike in 1 year than you have in 10.

Dang Dude, how was I to know that you've been practicing FOR A WHOLE YEAR?

Heck, golly gee, oh my....

I done went and messed with a guy thats been riding a whole year.

Ohhhhhh, I'm trembling. :thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.