Frame Vs. Chain

10 replies to this topic
  • blue450frider

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:49 PM

i got a problem and I would like to no if this has been happening to any of your 06 450s? It is the chain rubbing against the frame making a notch. My chain is always at stock specs (1.9 - 2.3 Inches). i usaully run mine at 2 inches. Any suggestions??

Posted Image

• barch88

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I hear it happens from cheap chains that use thick side plates vs quality. I run a DID ERT2 Gold and have 0 wear on my frame. The Regina ORN6 also, from what I hear, produces ZERO wear on the frame. If you already don't know about the chain slider/chain slap wear you may want to look into that. I will find you the thread...

http://www.thumperta...=check swingarm

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:32 PM

It can be exacerbated by over-wide chains, but the real reason is more likely to be the rear wheel alignment. On coast, the chain will roll off the top of the rear sprocket in the direction it's pointed. As it is dragged back in the right direction by the front sprocket, it whips laterally and hits the frame and/or the mud flap. Check your rear wheel, and I don't mean look at the marks.

BTW, mine has a Regina ORN6 O-ring chain, and not a mark on the frame.

• blue450frider

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:25 PM

i am using the renthal gold o-ring chain

• keith_karidis

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Pop rivet a peice of stainless steel around the subframe. Make sure it wraps 3 sides or the chain can snag it as it goes by. It needs to cover the subframe thru the complete range of travel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Its off just a little according to the picture

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Don't go off the blocks. Physically pull out a measuring tape, measure from the swingarm to the axle.

This is the only way to make sure that the axle is aligned.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2007 - 07:04 AM

Frame vs Chain..........Chain always wins :eek:

Your chain is too wide.....that is why it is eating your frame

A 2nd vote for DID ERT2 non oring chains.....never had the first issue with this...:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2007 - 08:01 AM

My Regina ORN-6 sealed chain doesn't hit either, but it's less a chain width issue than a chain quality issue, and even then, the biggest cause is incorrect rear wheel alignment, IMO.

• tonypitcock79

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:54 PM

my 450 has the same marks but i have exploded 2 rear hubs 1 set of cases &1 complete motor explosion as far as my chain its a regina o ring and i allways run it a little loose and dont go by marks tape measures or widgets just put the sprockets directly in the middle of the chain when rolling the wheel, done....

Posted March 17, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Using any thing except an O-ring chain on an open class bike means you are going to spend more time tighening chains than riding --- I have used RK520SO chains for years.

Blaming this issue on the o-ring chain is crazy. All the offroad racers use them.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.