Pumper wars! Mikuni vs Edelbrock vs Keihin - for an L!

31 replies to this topic
  • sl33py

Posted August 16, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Jbird and Mich - so what else did you dial in for your edelbrock?

I am thinking of getting it and if i install it where should i start as far as tuning it. My bike is pretty similar to yours (i think). I have full FMF powerbomb/powercore4 system, K&N, desnorkeled and desmogged.

Barnums pretty good seller? 389 right now online...

• jbird710

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:14 PM

It took two weeks to get mine from Barnums to Houston but everything was there. The only thing I did to mine was change the needle and adjust the idle. There is a pump adjustment but mine seems to happy with the way it came. I'm on the road right now and can't remember which needle I installed. There are no jets and you install a different needle to increase or decrease jet flow. Other than put in the the different needle, all I did was adjust the idle knob until the bike idled and came off idle with out hesitation. Most people count the number of clicks out from bottom and keep a note of it but I didn't do this. It's so painless and effortless to do, I didn't get that anal about it. The biggest problem is letting go the money to buy the thing. I should be home Friday and will let you know what needle I installed and count the number of clicks the idle is set to.

• sl33py

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:56 PM

i made the plunge and ordered from barnums...

Any info on how to dial it in would be really appreciated. Jbird - what exhaust and mods do you have? if close i will start with your settings and adjust from there.

mine - desnorkeled, desmogged, full FMF powerbomb/powercore4, and K&N (soon UNI). stock engine for now.

thanks guys!

rob

• jbird710

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Same as yours except I have the WB E2 exhaust instead of the FMF. Will let you know details Friday evening.

• BIG RED

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:27 PM

when i went pumper i ordered both the mikuni and the Edelbrock and after looking over the two carbs I decided the Edelbrock looked more rugged and better sealed then the mikuni and that was the only reason i went with it. i love it except for a sticky slide which i think a heavier spring will fix.

• jbird710

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:31 PM

I've seen several posts about the slide sticking on Edelbrocks. When I installed mine, I changed the needle to the one that flows more gas because I knew I had more air flow than stock. When I put the slide back in, I put a light coat of a synthetic oil on it. The oil is some kind of special oil used to lubricate watch gears that I got from a computer company I used to work for. We used it to lubricate high use printers we serviced and maintained. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but I've never had a problem with the slide sticking on mine. It's made by a company called Nye and don't know if it is still available or where to get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tirebiter

Posted August 16, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Jbird and Mich - so what else did you dial in for your edelbrock?

I am thinking of getting it and if i install it where should i start as far as tuning it. My bike is pretty similar to yours (i think). I have full FMF powerbomb/powercore4 system, K&N, desnorkeled and desmogged.

Barnums pretty good seller? 389 right now online...

I'm running a big gun race pipe, all the air box mods on my L. The Edelbrock needed no adjustments- ran great right outta the box, I'm at sea level..
I put the "Old style" Edelbrock on my 650R a few years ago, and yes, it did have a few quirks. The one I got from Barnums for the L is the new style..
Do it, then yer done monkeying about. :thumbsup:

• sl33py

Posted August 17, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Do you have any stumbles or hesitation? right out of the box and what settings are stock? Thanks - I can't wait!! :thumbsup:

I will read some more threads on the edelbrock and when it arrives I am :ride:

rob

• tirebiter

Posted August 17, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Do you have any stumbles or hesitation? right out of the box and what settings are stock? Thanks - I can't wait!! :thumbsup:

I will read some more threads on the edelbrock and when it arrives I am :ride:

rob

Nope, no stumbles or hesitation. It came set at 15 clicks from full rich on the installed (Stock) needle. I never checked the pump screw, seems ok.
Edelbrock carbs are so simple to adjust, it's had to get used to after fiddling with all the jets on the stocker. Two items to play with- needle & pump screw. Both are Turn right for rich, left for lean. Instructions come with the carb.
As I stated before, the carb comes set up for aftermarket exhaust & airbox mods allready done.
When I ran into problems on the old carb for my 'R' I called them on the phone, they helped me right then and there! GREAT service!
Don't fret- just read my starting procedure posted earlier.

• jbird710

Posted August 18, 2006 - 06:58 PM

i made the plunge and ordered from barnums...

Any info on how to dial it in would be really appreciated. Jbird - what exhaust and mods do you have? if close i will start with your settings and adjust from there.

mine - desnorkeled, desmogged, full FMF powerbomb/powercore4, and K&N (soon UNI). stock engine for now.

thanks guys!

rob

I'm pretty much at sea level; maybe as high as 12 ft. My bike is set up similar to yours with the exception of having the WB E2 exhaust instead of the FMF. Because I had opened up the air box with the K&N and removed the snorkel, as well as knowing the E2 flows better than stock, I went ahead and installed the 18E needle. I checked the idle and it's set to 15 clicks. My motor is stock with no piston, cam, or vavle mods.
You may want to give it a try without changing the needle or the settings to see how it will work. Worse case you'd have to pull the carb and change the needle which takes no time to do. And, if it works right out of the box, the time you'd spent changing the needle, you can be riding. :thumbsup:

PS - Don't forget to install the adjuster on top of the slide cover before installing the carb. Easy to get in a hurry and forget.

• xr600inoz

Posted October 11, 2008 - 09:43 PM

sounds like you may have the cables routed wrong after refitting the carb, this happened to me and gave me the same probs until i got the route right again.

• martinfan30

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:58 AM

sounds like you may have the cables routed wrong after refitting the carb, this happened to me and gave me the same probs until i got the route right again.

I hope he figured out his problem by now.:D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.