How does everyone like the 5 speed

8 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:51 PM

How does everyone like the 5 speed compared to the 4? Is there any pros and cons, I ride MX only.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I never owned a 4 speed so the 5 speed is pretty standard issue for me. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is a little wide with the stock gearing but can be made to work with a 50 or 51 tooth rear sprocket.

• Hitch22

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I ridden earlier model yz450f's and a rmz 450 and definitely prefer the 5 speed over the 4. I just picked up my 06 450 and love it. I've ridden the 05 rmz450 and my 06 yz450f back to back and the 5 speed works much better, there is a gear for every situation, and you are not stuck between gears.

• barch88

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:49 PM

I never owned a 4 speed so the 5 speed is pretty standard issue for me. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is a little wide with the stock gearing but can be made to work with a 50 or 51 tooth rear sprocket.

Same here, I only owned 5 speeds. 2nd pulls pretty good, then 3rd is good for mostly all jumps with the stock gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sic

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:53 PM

First things first: functionally its the most perfect transmission I have ever owned. Never hit a false neutral and its never reluctant to shift under full power. Even shifts flawlessly under full power with no clutch ! Just awesome engineering. Feels more like a transmission for a 125 2-stroke.

I came off a YZ250 and thought the gears too far apart too on my '06. I opted for 1 more tooth on the rear. Now I have a better gear choice in difficult situations. For instance, I was uncomfortable with 2nd in the rockers (too strong) and 3rd gear was too tall (it would choke out sometimes). Now I can use 3rd most of the time. In a way you shift less (where it really counts) with more gears since you can "pick the perfect gear" at the beginning of the straight and run the whole thing in that gear. More is better.

Sic

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:43 PM

I've owned the '03 4 speed for a couple years, and now the 5 speed '06. The points about the shifting are well taken. The older YZF transmissions, 4 & 5 speed alike, were stiff and notchy, but dependable and accurate once you adapted. The new 5 speed is a lot like a CR gearbox; very slick.

Most of the opinions on ratio spacing I see here amuse me a bit, because I always thought that the spacing of the 4 speed is barely wide enough, and that with a 15/49 combo (two teeth taller than stock). I get on the '06 and the trans seems too close for an engine with such a wide, flat power curve, but that's just me, I guess. I do like the extra speed you get on top without giving up your low gear, though.

• Wyatt

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:01 PM

I have owned '01, '04, and now an '06. The '06 is no doubt the best, but my ultimate bike would be the '06 with the '04 4 speed. I ride 100% MX and the 4 speed was just plain better for the way I ride.

• almostinvincible119

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I rode the 4 speed for about a year, and loved it. I will admit that the 5 speed is better, but to own a bike that is that reliable, I guess you have to make sacrifices. I love the 06 box and the 5 speed is much better, it took a while to get used to, but i typically run 3-5th anyways. But over the 06 kx450 and the 03-05 yz450, the 06 gearbox outright punishes them. I love it.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:43 AM

I used to think the 4 speed was the best - on my 03, But the 06 5sp is much smoother and the gear ratios are almost or very similar to the 4 speed...
It is amazing when I jump from my 03 to my 06 - it is that noticeable
I only would see the 5pd a issue on smaller tighter supercross type tracks...and not much of one with a 51/52 tooth sprocket

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.