XR650L Buzzing

5 replies to this topic
  • ajones

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hey Gang, I just picked up a 1993 XR650L. Great bike, lots of fun and plenty of power. Here my big BUT :thumbsup: When I'm riding down the road the bike will buzz or vibrate. I can accelerate then back off the throttle quarter turn and it will smooth out. When the bike is out of gear (sitting still) you can feel the same buzz at mid to high RPM. Is this normal?

The bike is older with 12K mile. It has a Mikuni Carborator with stock exhaust. Could that be the problem?

I've searched the site and didn't find anyone with the same problem.

Thank you for help

AJ

• captb

Posted August 14, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hard to say I had a 93 L and it seemed the same as all the 600Rs I had, if it seems bad you might try tightening all motor mounts and loosen the exhaust system bolts and retighten them.

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Just going to remark on the obvious. Have you checked the clutch lever? It will vibrate in the perch & make that "buzzing" sound just as you have stated. Rest your fingers on the lever when revving the motor & see if it either doesn't happen or if it goes away...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nxridge

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:41 AM

my L does the same thing , clutch lever will buzz (for lack of better description)

• ajones

Posted August 15, 2006 - 11:41 AM

Thank you, There is no "obvious" reasons for me. I did try tighting up the engine mounts. The gaurd on the front only had 2 of the 4 screws. I'll try the loosening and retighting the exhaust. It almost feels like there is a bad bearing. Does the engine have a bearing? I like to ride but I'm not a mechanic.

When I tested this bike my friend had his ('96 XR650L) there. One of our mutual friend's rode both bikes and he made the comment that the '96 felt fresher.

Keep the feedback coming,

AJ

• ajones

Posted August 21, 2006 - 12:47 PM

For future searchers.... While messing with the Carburetor jetts this weekend, I started the bike and notice one of the engine mount bolts was loose. One I didn't see the first go around. It was actually rotating. I gave it a turn with the wrench and all is better.

Thank you for the help gang,

AJ :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.