coolant drip...prob water pump seal, but can't find info

11 replies to this topic
  • 2wheels-drz

Posted August 14, 2006 - 12:51 PM

OK i have noticed a coolant drip from the base of my bike (started life as a wr400) i had two race meetings this weekend so left well alone and just kept the coolant topped up.

at this stage I've been searching like and am now pretty sure its coming from the weep hole, and that i will need new seals etc...

my questions is which seals? which gaskets? etc etc

i have another race meeting this Sunday, can i risk putting it of, or am i gonna have to do it rite away? am i have a feeling its gonna be hard to get parts.

and does anyone have any pic's..founds thread on it, but pic's had been removed..they would be o so help full...

cheers.

• Asgeir

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Some weeks ago I dropped my bike on the right side and it started to leak cooland fluid.

I exchanged the pipe going into the water pump (the one where 2 hoses go into) Y shaped pipe. part # 5BE-12482-00-00

When I exchanged the broken one I saw that the bracket that is welded on the side of it, with the bolt hole, was bent.

I could have bent the bravket back and reinstalled it but ended up by putting the new in.

I checked the WR400 parts catalog on : http://www.yamaha-mo...parts/home.aspx
and it looks the same.

Maybe this helps ?

• 2wheels-drz

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:34 AM

^^ nope don't think its that, am pretty sure its coming from the weep hole.^^

anyone?

• SmallMonkey

Posted August 15, 2006 - 08:31 AM

I cant remember for sure, but it's definately # 4, 5, or 6 on the water pump drawing from Yamaha-Motor.com for the 2000 WR400

It's a really simple fix, but you do need to drain the coolant.
Good luck :thumbsup:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted August 16, 2006 - 10:07 AM

anyone wlse have some more info? am i gonna risk doing major engine damage by running by bike as is?? will the lek get worse and worse??

• kskyles

Posted August 16, 2006 - 11:43 AM

have you checked your engine oil? is it milky colored?

i would be cautious if you are leaking coolant in to your oil since it will hurt the lubricating properties of the oil.

i don't know about the wr400 but this is usually a case of a worn impeller and water and oil seals. i would change them before any serious racing. its probably not a big deal to go for a couple of hours on an easy weekend ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2wheels-drz

Posted August 16, 2006 - 11:49 AM

engine oil is fine....sadly no such thing as easy..supermoto, the bike will be having the nuts reved of it.....or rather would have been, this weekends meeting has been canceled so atleast i have time to fix it.

• kskyles

Posted August 16, 2006 - 01:46 PM

good luck with the fix. it shouldn't be anything too tough. i hope you can get all the parts quickly!

• jonova

Posted August 17, 2006 - 10:56 AM

2wheels-drz - My 426 just had the same problem. I highly recommend replacing the shaft, bearing and both seals. Look at the impeller for cracks and such. You will be amazed at how bad the shaft looks. Make sure to get a new side case gasket. Cooling is important, don't skimp. Good luck, drink some guiness while you work. :thumbsup:

• Gadsen

Posted August 17, 2006 - 11:09 AM

2 wheel DRZ, usually the weeping start out slow, only during warm up for a short period and maybe some during shutdown. As it progresses, more often. So you have some time, just keep the system full. There is a seal under the impeller, I have repalced mine when it was 90 miles old, started weeping. I only rteplaced the seal and 650 miles, perfect still. But a new shaft may be in order. And if you do, there is also an oil seal plus the cover gasket.

• Gadsen

Posted August 17, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I cant remember for sure, but it's definately # 4, 5, or 6 on the water pump drawing from Yamaha-Motor.com for the 2000 WR400

It's a really simple fix, but you do need to drain the coolant.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Its seal number 4 if you have coolant leaking out. Seal #5 is an oil seal. These are almost back to back, the weep hole is located between them. So which ever is leaking, will drain out the weephole. Coolant seal goes in with the open end of the seal facing away from the engine, oil seal, open end towards the engine. If the shaft is grooved, you can just install the seal a little shallow as long as it clears to locate the lip in an smooth area of the shaft. Buys ya a little more time witht he same shaft.

• 2wheels-drz

Posted August 18, 2006 - 12:03 AM

Its seal number 4 if you have coolant leaking out. Seal #5 is an oil seal. These are almost back to back, the weep hole is located between them. So which ever is leaking, will drain out the weephole. Coolant seal goes in with the open end of the seal facing away from the engine, oil seal, open end towards the engine. If the shaft is grooved, you can just install the seal a little shallow as long as it clears to locate the lip in an smooth area of the shaft. Buys ya a little more time witht he same shaft.

ahh u saved me!!! thanks guys......opened her up last night, and there is a small amout of play in the shaft, so i'm going to replace the shaft, bearin and all seals. no point doing a job half assed.

cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.