From 650L to R and R to L.

41 replies to this topic
  • 52wheelz

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:24 PM

now i am even more confused.

i have ridden a lot of dirtbikes, raced cc, and currently do a lot of practice days the local motocross tracks w/ my kid. i have a klx400r for that.

what i am looking for is a good powerful dirtbike, that i can trailor places like the bigbend country in s. texas, or to carson national forest in new mexico, and ride the backroads and trails, and scoot down the highway for a spell to get to more trails. also will be using the bike for short trips around town.

your opinions please?

If you are going to trailer the bike and only ride on-road a little bit and want a "powerful dirtbike", then you should forget the L and R and dual sport a Yamaha WR450F. That is what I now own after having an L and R.

I found out that I prefer to haul my bike in the back of my pickup to where I want to start a 150 - 200 mile dual sport ride. The only problem with the WR is that the seat is too narrow, no matter what type of foam used, to be very comfortable for 150+ mile rides. But it is a powerful dirt bike with great suspension and light weight, though not as light as a full motocross 450F.

I haul my bike anywhere from 45 to 200 miles to where I start riding. Basically I like the WR450F best when I am mostly off-road and would like the L if I am mostly on-road. I have come to the point where I have no use for the R because I like the WR so much better for all the off-road riding I do.

• Mudshark

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:53 PM

The R is a ergonomically better fit. It has a higher handlebar height relative
to the seat height. This makes it more comfortable to ride than the L.
Once you’ve grabbed a handful of a R..... you'll never doubt that you made
the right choice. :applause:
I spent many months trying to decide which one to get… all it took was
A ride on both. Both new / demo bikes at the local Honda shop and my
Mind was made up. The seat on the R is a tad hard…. But that’s easy to
Fix (read cheap) other than that and a Baja kit it needs nothing. :thumbsup:
Why settle for anything that doesn’t handle quite as well or is not quite so
quick.... just because it has a better seat and e-start? accept no compromise. :ride:
(BTW Bajadesigns E-start will run you less than
$900.00 and it's a breeze to install.... if not having one bugs you)

Is this not the prettiest thing you’ve ever seen???

Posted Image

• madav8tr

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Why settle for anything that doesn’t handle quite as well or is not quite so quick

I am sure alot of Husky and KTM owners would say the same thing about a 650R. :thumbsup:

• Ferdinand

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hey mudshark nice ride! :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:30 AM

T
Why settle for anything that doesn’t handle quite as well or is not quite so
quick.... just because it has a better seat and e-start? accept no compromise. :ride:
(BTW Bajadesigns E-start will run you less than
$900.00 and it's a breeze to install.... if not having one bugs you)

Is this not the prettiest thing you’ve ever seen???

Posted Image

Sweet bike looks nice!

It's not "just because it has a better seat and ES". I don't give a hoot if it's a bit slower then the XR (I'm in no race) , I like the fact that everything is production electrical, switch, charging system and battery wise + has better lighting, dig the snail adjuster for the chain rather then the CR type ones altough the CR ones are certainly stronger but again, it just doesn't matter to me for my use.

As far as the starter goes for the R, the minute I saw how UGLY it is I could never have that set up but I'm sure it functions just great.

About kick starting the R ........... Once it gets to be (I'm just curious) about 40-35 degrees out, does it take a lot more kicks to get it going where the engine will STAY idling? I know my old XL 600 was just terrible in that respect although the remedy might have just been a jetting issue but 20 years ago I didn't know much at all about carb tuning, there was no TT, so I had to deal with it.

To test drive both is out of the question since no dealers have either in my area and most don't let you take them (brand new ones) out anyway.

So far the L is still a notch or two or three ahead of the R for me but as far as looks, I like the R better for sure, not that I find the L ugly by any means though.

At 50 I really like the ES and am tired of owning kick start only cycles. I love the neat plastic container for the battery on the L too. It's nice and tidy but as far as the placement it's up pretty high and on one side instead of centralized more. Man, the air filter is a breeze and wish others were that way.

:thumbsup: Is the R that way too?

• Mattydiah

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:13 AM

I plan to buy a plated R for about 95% street use. This thing will rarely see dirt. I plan to motard it, and I want something that can keep up with the 625SM's and whatnot (but I dont want their price or "reliability"). I'm thinking the R is the right bike for me.

• BluezookS

Posted August 15, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Does anyone know if the "L" engine will bolt into "R" frame?

I just bought a XR650R off ebay. It is a fun bike, feels lighter than my DRZ 400 because I think the weight is lower.

My R is really easy to start. Thought I was going to need an electric start but I don't think so.

• Ferdinand

Posted August 15, 2006 - 01:10 PM

What's the difference between the snail adjusters on L and the CR type on the R? I'm not familiar with the CR type.

• Mudshark

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:44 PM

What's the difference between the snail adjusters on L and the CR type on the R? I'm not familiar with the CR type.

I think the Snail adjusters are better... most R owners (me included) report
that the "marks" on the R are not accurate.

• Mudshark

Posted August 15, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Sweet bike looks nice!

It's not "just because it has a better seat and ES". I don't give a hoot if it's a bit slower then the XR (I'm in no race) , I like the fact that everything is production electrical, switch, charging system and battery wise + has better lighting, dig the snail adjuster for the chain rather then the CR type ones altough the CR ones are certainly stronger but again, it just doesn't matter to me for my use.

Thanks... Don't misunderstand me... the L is still a magic bike :thumbsup:
I like all the "standard" bling it has also.

As far as the starter goes for the R, the minute I saw how UGLY it is I could never have that set up but I'm sure it functions just great.?

Agreed 100% it's Fugly! looks like a coffee can stuck to the motor :applause:

About kick starting the R ...........[/B] Once it gets to be (I'm just curious) about 40-35 degrees out, does it take a lot more kicks to get it going where the engine will STAY idling? I know my old XL 600 was just terrible in that respect although the remedy might have just been a jetting issue but 20 years ago I didn't know much at all about carb tuning, there was no TT, so I had to deal with it..

We've had a lot of 100+ farehieght days here this summer (and more to come)
but it seems not to affect how it starts.... just dont drop it when it's hot
or at least if you do, shut the gas off real quick. if the motor floods it takes
some kicking to get going again. (I'm headed toward 47 :applause: it's not bad)

To test drive both is out of the question since no dealers have either in my area and most don't let you take them (brand new ones) out anyway..

Yes, I was pretty lucky I guess. :ride:

So far the L is still a notch or two or three ahead of the R for me but as far as looks, I like the R better for sure, not that I find the L ugly by any means though.

Once you replace the tank with something larger, it looks less different from the R.
The filter on the R is easy too. it's just a flat foam screen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mudshark

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:01 PM

I am sure alot of Husky and KTM owners would say the same thing about a 650R. :thumbsup:

I'm sure they do.... but Red is a better colour and they know it :applause:
Besides we're not comparing those three bikes here :ride:

• Mudshark

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hey mudshark nice ride! :thumbsup:

Sweet bike looks nice!

Thanks guys... and it plays nice in the mud also:
Shawn and me(with helmet) this weekend playing in the rain :ride:
He had to help get the bike started and up out of a huge ditch... I ripped a
groin muscle falling off :applause: damnd baby hehe!

Posted Image
Heres a shot of shawn's bike.... bad ass mud.
Posted Image

• islandrider55

Posted August 15, 2006 - 06:00 PM

thanks guys your thread has been been a great help as ive been sitting on the fence on this subject. sounds like a kitted R wins for me i don't mind kicking and the extra power to move my big butt[6'3" 220]. i.m only 16 miles from work here in Guam but with gas approaching 4$ any little bit helps and the fact that there are some great places to ride in some tropical dirt along the way don't hurt atall. the next problem is finding one and getting it shipped to Guam. unfortunatly we don't have a honda dealer here . thanks again

• Huffa 2

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:42 PM

Does anyone know if the "L" engine will bolt into "R" frame?

I just bought a XR650R off ebay. It is a fun bike, feels lighter than my DRZ 400 because I think the weight is lower.

My R is really easy to start. Thought I was going to need an electric start but I don't think so.

Feels lighter then the DRZ? Not sure what a DRZ weighs but I would think 20-30 lbs less? :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:47 PM

The snail has indents with marks on that that you just simply turn the snail against a nub that is on the swinarm itself.

The CRf and many other bikes you must go back and forth from side to side and turn a bolt (has a lock nut) which pushes the swingarm back more and has small lines as marks on swingarm and one line on the axle block which you eye them both up.

The snail is a piece of cake to adjust. :thumbsup:

Here is the CR set up.

http://www.mcnews.co...rwheel_600p.jpg

• Ferdinand

Posted August 15, 2006 - 11:44 PM

Feels lighter then the DRZ? Not sure what a DRZ weighs but I would think 20-30 lbs less? :thumbsup:

I was just talking to someone tonight who said the same thing their 650 R actually feels lighter then their KLR250 which is 20-30lbs lighter.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 16, 2006 - 01:34 AM

I was just talking to someone tonight who said the same thing their 650 R actually feels lighter then their KLR250 which is 20-30lbs lighter.

That's pretty amazing that it does, even if it carries the weight a bit lower. The DRZ weighs in at approx 250 dry and the XR 277. Quite a difference to overcome to make that statement.

I could see 10 lbs but 25 or more and it still feels lighter, WOW :thumbsup:

Eventually I can make the same comparison since a freind has a DRZ but with the motard tires on his, which makes it lower it SHOULD have a more lighter, flickable feel to it the a XR. The fair thing to do is compare it to the enduro model of course.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:04 AM

So does anyone know the approximate horsepower - torque difference between R and L with both being stock with the only exception being that they both are uncorked?

I would think it would not be more then 5-7 horsepower (with the R having the upper hand of course) between the two would it?

• oneshot

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:34 AM

hey mudshark, where were those muddy road pics taken? looks an awful lot like they were taken close to wylie texas.....

• Huffa 2

Posted August 16, 2006 - 05:12 AM

hey mudshark, where were those muddy road pics taken? looks an awful lot like they were taken close to wylie texas.....

I have never seen a front tire so globbed up! I have seen muddier bikes but not front tire wise.

I wonder what they were disscussing there? Maybe he was asking if it is one down and four up ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.