Hot start lever stuck....

8 replies to this topic
  • DRZBigB

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:00 AM

My Brothers '03 WR450F's Hot Start lever is stuck open... Is there a quick fix for this, or is there a lot of disassembly required..

Bike runs fine, but I'm sure that it can't be good for it..

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:15 AM

You can take it off but be careful of the plastic coupler they can be a pain in the a$$..... It may be a fusty cable too.

• 450pmp

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:14 AM

If it's the same as the 04, you just back the plunger out of the carb and lube it up and re-install. I lube my hot start plunger a couple times a year cause it does get sticky! :thumbsup:

Posted August 14, 2006 - 11:03 AM

The cables tend to get water in them from pressure washing, mine will freeze in the winter time when I drive over the mountains, the bars stick out above the cab of my truck and by time I get to eastern washington that Hot Start cable is frozen :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oldsmobiler

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:07 PM

Its a piece of cake to take off but I HIGHLY recommend that you change the piece of crap plastic hot start carb nut with one of these http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTI5Nw==. Mine was stripped from the dealership monkeys so they gave me one off a new bike. It was already starting to show signs of losing threads :thumbsup: . I betcha that the plunger is siezed in the bore. Take it apart and lube it up with a dab of lithium grease.

• odonnks

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Chief.... you'll be real lean.

• DRZBigB

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:10 PM

Lean - that makes perfect sense why he was popping, and sputtering soo much...

I'll tell him, and maybe we can tear into it...

PS: Any Diagrams?

• DRZBigB

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Done.... Easily fixed - a little WD40 and it unfroze - runs like a top now!

• shotgunscott

Posted November 07, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Have not had a stuck hot start since I have been using this system.:mad:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.