Pinching Tube during change--suggestions

17 replies to this topic
  • zwr250f

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:32 AM

I know this is a well beaten horse, I've scrolled thru the search results and found most threads resulting in a discussion on whether or not it's worth one's time to change their own tires. Well, I refuse to spend money letting the dealer change my tube and was the case yesterday my dealer doesn't work on sundays!!

I have been changing my tires and tubes for about 2yrs, Just got the harbor freight tire changer which has helped, but the one problem I consistently have is pinching that damn tube. I'm ordering some different spoons today with more of a radius tip to see if that will help. I use baby powder on the tubes, yet almost always end up with a pinch. Question is: should my tube be completey deflated for the best results or a little air pressure, or 20lbs of pressure?

BTW: As frustrating as tire changing can be it is quite gratifiying when you can get back on the trail in 45min on a sunday afternoon instead of the entire day being wasted

• Soul Man

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Search for the videos from Transworld MX, some real good tips (such as how much air to put in the tube).

I just got 3 spoons to replace my old regular irons, and I think the spoons make a HUGE difference in keeping you from pinching tubes. Also, have to be real carefull about putting them in and not sticking them in too far.

• banffboy

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Are you pinching it on the rim lock? I put a little air in the tube so it takes "shape" and doesn't fold over

• Aaron_Silidker

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Putting air in the tbe makes it easier to pinch IMO. I put it in totall empty, then use my fingers to make sure it is laying on the tire and not up against the bead you will be levering on. Everytime I put an iron in, I use my fingers to reach in and feel if the tube is near the iron, if it is, I push it away.

• zwr250f

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Are you pinching it on the rim lock? I put a little air in the tube so it takes "shape" and doesn't fold over

no i make it past the rim lock in good shape. I'm doing all the things listed here so far. I'm hoping the MSR spoons ordered here on TT will make a big difference. I"m currently using the motion pro irons.

• RutRipper

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:10 AM

no i make it past the rim lock in good shape. I'm doing all the things listed here so far. I'm hoping the MSR spoons ordered here on TT will make a big difference. I"m currently using the motion pro irons.

I have mine changed at my local shop, but they pinch the tube too sometimes, so I end up getting a new tube out of it, ha ha :thumbsup:

• chrisn6104

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Take a look at This I change my tires now in my garage with the 8.5in motion pro tire irons and nothing else. No lube and no big giant tire irons. I've never pinched a tube either. Takes me about 30min round trip per tire.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I cover the tube with dawn dish soap then rub it in so it is all slippery and slimey.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Baby powder on the tube with a little air in it. Tire mounted on one side, slide tube in, pull stem through and slowly work your way around starting at the rim lock. I work from the rim lock and work both sides around so I end up finishing on the opposite side of the rim lock. Make sense? Air in the tub helps it push away from the sppons if you happen to hit it. With no air it will just sit there and get pinched.

• zwr250f

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Baby powder on the tube with a little air in it. Tire mounted on one side, slide tube in, pull stem through and slowly work your way around starting at the rim lock. I work from the rim lock and work both sides around so I end up finishing on the opposite side of the rim lock. Make sense? Air in the tub helps it push away from the sppons if you happen to hit it. With no air it will just sit there and get pinched.

well that's seems to be exactly how I do it...how inflated is the tube when you are installing. I'm thinking a little more air might help me..and I may try the ol' dish soap or WD-40 trick.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:58 AM

well that's seems to be exactly how I do it...how inflated is the tube when you are installing. I'm thinking a little more air might help me..and I may try the ol' dish soap or WD-40 trick.

Don't use WD40 as it reacts with the rubber. Dish soap tends to be sort of sticky once it starts drying. I put in enough air that I have no kinks or bends when the tube is laying on the ground.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:30 AM

Get the tube inside the tire, but before you put the tire all the way on, put enough air in the tube so that it lifts the tire bead a little.

Then you can inspect the tube and see if there are any folds in it.

If you're holing the tube with the tire iron, I find that irons with a shorter spoon are easier to keep from going in 'too deep' and nailing the tube.

Dave

• ben_suhard

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Are you using heavy duty tubes? They're very pinch resistant, they're way better for tyre changing; now I know how the enduro guys fix a flatty so quickly! I'm only gonna use heavy duty tubes from now on because I pinch flatted both tubes, one straight after the other, on a burnt stump sticking out in a whoop section while trail riding. They're a bit heavier than standard tubes, but I think they're worth using, even for MX. If you use heavy duty tubes, I doubt you'll ever pinch flat 'em while tyre changing.

• ogrider650

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:02 AM

Are you using heavy duty tubes? They're very pinch resistant, they're way better for tyre changing; now I know how the enduro guys fix a flatty so quickly! I'm only gonna use heavy duty tubes from now on because I pinch flatted both tubes, one straight after the other, on a burnt stump sticking out in a whoop section while trail riding. They're a bit heavier than standard tubes, but I think they're worth using, even for MX. If you use heavy duty tubes, I doubt you'll ever pinch flat 'em while tyre changing.

i pinched a MSR ultra heavy duty tube this weekend so it can be done luckily i bought two just in case it may have been that the tube was old as well didn't look as new as the other one.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:05 AM

i pinched a MSR ultra heavy duty tube this weekend so it can be done luckily i bought two just in case it may have been that the tube was old as well didn't look as new as the other one.

Well, there goes my theory! Let's just say they're more pinch resistant?

• zwr250f

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:21 PM

yea, i've tried the ultra heavy duty, and pinched them too, maybe I just need to keep practicing, I too stubborn to let the dealer change my tires.

• 450pmp

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:45 PM

I found baby powder works good with just the right amount of air in the tube. If you grab the tube inside the tire with your spoon it should bounce/slip away from the spoon tip and you won't pinch it. I guess the more air the better for this purpose...but then the tire gets harder to mount with too much air so this is the limiting factor when it comes to air pressure. I'd guess maybe 3 to 5 psi is good. You gotta have a round tube though cause an empty, uninflated tube will be easily pinched by the spoon no matter how much baby powder you use because it won't bounce away from the spoon. :thumbsup:

• AggKTM

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Here are the three videos from Transworld.

Right click and "save as" please.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Later

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Why are XCF's so rare? by heavenstrails

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Sold the DRZ - got myself a berg instead.. by dark_knight

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  26 replies
Reviews

KTM 450 XC-W 2014 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 XC-W 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

I guess we need an eBike section on TT? by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  37 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.