Kicstart kick back

I recently bought a Jetson exhaust system off ebay for my 1996 XR600, seems pretty nice came with a new CDI box and a set of jets. I mounted the pipe, put on the new CDI, and checked the jetting, removed the stock choke plate and fabricated a billet one. I went to start it and it wants to kick back,

it kicks back so much that I ended up with nine sticths in the back of my leg :applause: . has anyone else had this problem? it is like the new CDI moved the advance curve way up at startup. I did get the bike to start with blood running down my leg :ride: , and it seems to run really good. I had to change the way I start the bike , I normally roll it over to just past TDC, and give it the boot, now I have to roll a whole kickstart length past this or it will kick back? My wife was not pleased with having to go to emergency at 11:00 pm ?

• 3 weeks later...

I too am having the same prob, I also changed my cdi and come to think of it, it all started after that, I have not hurt myself yet other than nearly collapsing the arches in my foot when it kicks back. Let me know if that stops with the stock cdi ?