03 wr 450 stalling

7 replies to this topic
  • bigblockchevelle

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:44 AM

Hey guys, twice now i have been cruising down a backroad (gravel) at about 60 and the bike just dies like someone turned a key off. Coast to a stop and have to choke it to get it to start but it fires right up. Is there a common electrical connection or something to look for. it is so intermittent that im not sure where to start?

• gregwr450f

Posted August 14, 2006 - 04:16 AM

check to see if any wires are being crushed by the steering stops.

• Christi20

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Also check wiring in and around airbox, seat area. Some of the wires may rub on the subframe and contact metal and short out.

• 450pmp

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Check your fuel cap vent too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigblockchevelle

Posted August 15, 2006 - 03:47 AM

I am going to check all these things tonight. I had wondered about that fuel tank vent as it sometimes gets twisted. Would that cause the bike to completely die out like that?

• Turismo

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:34 AM

I am going to check all these things tonight. I had wondered about that fuel tank vent as it sometimes gets twisted. Would that cause the bike to completely die out like that?

Sounds like classic blocked fuel vent. Blocked vent causes vapor lock, kills the bike then carby slowly fills back up.

• bigblockchevelle

Posted August 15, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Its amazing how something so simple can evade you until someone else reminds you of the obvious. Thanks guys, i'm guessing thats what it was as i have noticed that it was twisted a couple times.

Now on to changing the seals on the water pump shaft!!

• ckulzer

Posted August 15, 2006 - 10:36 AM

I have had this happen twice. Dry conditions and it did not seem to be fuel related. Motor just up and quit running. Started back up straight away too....

Weird.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.