Heavy duty tube

5 replies to this topic
  • Juppy

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:12 PM

I recently pop my tube and replaced it with a heavy duty tube. I feel like it changed the way the bike handles. Is there a big weight difference? If so is there enough to feel it?

• 642MX

Posted August 13, 2006 - 04:28 PM

I recently pop my tube and replaced it with a heavy duty tube. I feel like it changed the way the bike handles. Is there a big weight difference? If so is there enough to feel it?

:thumbsup: There is no way you could feel the difference in a heavy duty tube and a regular tube. Unless your last name is Reed. :ride:

• jwcrf05

Posted August 13, 2006 - 05:07 PM

was it front or rear? if it was the rear you may have put the wheel in a different spot than it was originally. also you might have reversed the tire which could change the way it bites in, and last but not least you might be running a higher or lower air pressure than you were before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2006 - 05:28 PM

My name is not Reed, Henry, Stewart, etc., nor am I in their league, although I once held a #1 plate in the game I played. Nevertheless, I can feel the difference in HD/Non-HD tubes at either end and between 110 vs. 120mm tires on the rear.

I recall once asking for an inner tube for a 110 and having the counter person set a box up into which you would have been challenged to place a radiator cap. I said I might like to have one that was not the lightest available, and he said the only other thing he had was a "Heavy Duty" tube. I though I knew what that meant, so I said OK, and he brought out something the size of a shoe box (for big feet, too). The tube in it could have been run as a tire. There can be a very big weight difference, and it an also noticeably affect the "feel" of the tire at different air pressures.

I went to another shop and got a more nearly normal tube.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:32 AM

what gray said. i was running brdgestone UHD's which are probly bulletproof....but they weigh at least twice as much as the moose HD's(which i highly reccomend) i'm using now. i've not weighed them but i'll bet there is a lb difference in the rear. now you can't tell me that in a world where ounces count (especially in unsprung weight)and considering that its all on the outside edge of a rotational mass(kinda like changing FWW) that it makes no difference :thumbsup:

• Juppy

Posted August 14, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I put the tube in the rear tire and replaced the tire with a new one. To me it doesn't feel right. I guess it's not just my imagination other people feel the difference too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.