European XR650 R

2 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 13, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Does anyone have one of these? I found the differences between ours and theirs. Interesting. I'd rather have the Euro job I think.

There are two basic specs, the USA spec which has a lower output alternator, small plastic headlight, no speedo (just a mileometer), no indicators, no rear subframe and no switch gear. The European spec machine had all these things and was much more road biased as a result. The USA ones were also restricted, but this can be un-done easily. However the European ones came with a competition baffle as well as the standard one .

Unless you are only going to use it as a competition machine, go for the European spec one as they are more useful on the road, although they still don't have an ignition key.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sanderd

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:33 PM

hi there,

i've got one, (i'm european, Dutch to be specific....)

In the service manual you see the differences mainly from the electrical wiring schematics and the jetting specs.

From the bike itself i've noticed that it is uncorked as factory default and the stator is fully wired to deliver 70W output accoording to spec.

In my previous post i asked for an turn signal relais, wiring is there, switchgear also, but no relais....

I wonder if i can use the 650L relais. from what i read 650L is more dual sport and comes with blinkers factory standard.

cheers,
sander

• Huffa 2

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:42 PM

hi there,

i've got one, (i'm european, Dutch to be specific....)

In the service manual you see the differences mainly from the electrical wiring schematics and the jetting specs.

From the bike itself i've noticed that it is uncorked as factory default and the stator is fully wired to deliver 70W output accoording to spec.

In my previous post i asked for an turn signal relais, wiring is there, switchgear also, but no relais....

I wonder if i can use the 650L relais. from what i read 650L is more dual sport and comes with blinkers factory standard.

cheers,
sander

Hmmm, makes me wonder if we (Americans) could get a European stator off ebay instead of having the stock one rewound. I think I read even when the stock one is rewound it only puts ot 55W? Wonder if it would be way more $$ or work out about the same?

If you can use a relay, must you get it from America?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.