Part of the '07 Honda Bike Lineup Solved??

30 replies to this topic
  • scott_01_xr400

Posted August 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I can't wait for this to arrive.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:04 AM

I talked to my dealer and he said Honda's dealer convention will be in a couple of weeks. He told me that at this convention is where any new models will be unveiled. He told me many times they have gone to these totally unaware that Honda had a new bike for the coming season. He said Honda is very secretive and that the tabloids do not always have a line on what Honda is doing. He is going to the convention so I will be talking to him in 2 weeks to get all the details.

• huntmaster

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:17 AM

If I could get a bike as fast as an XR650, and as reliable as an XR600R, that handles almost as well and is as light as a CRF450R, that would be king!

AND must accelerate as well as a CBR600RR...as long as we are mixing up Honda's built for completely different purposes! :thumbsup:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 22, 2006 - 07:39 AM

[quote name='ProMed'][quote name='HappyCurmudgeon']My first choice was an XR400, but i wanted more cc for road duty, so then thought about the 650R, nixed that because of plating issues in NY so i ended up with an L.[QUOTE]
I know a guy that is selling an already street-legal 650R... :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...p?product=15771[/QUOTE]

Nice looking bike, but to far away to be practicable, and i bought the L a year ago, the prettier half will not go for another oinker in the stable. But i keep trying to convince her it is for safety purposes.

• Leget

Posted August 22, 2006 - 09:45 AM

The dealership I was at yesterday had one of the new white "supermoto" XR400s. Pretty Cool. :thumbsup:

Once I read that I had to go and take a look for myself.....

I asked one of the people who worked there about it, he said that they are still working on getting the paperwork completed and they do not have a price set on the bike yet. (he wouldn't even give a "ballpark" price).
He said I should check back in a week or two to see what the price will be.

I took some photos (didn't realize I had the date stamp turned on, I just replaced the battery in my camera and was in a hurry).

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted August 22, 2006 - 12:46 PM

with the results of the XR650R and CRF450X in Baja this year I don't see Honda deleting from it's line the XR650R for some time. It is and has been after the legendary XR600R the KING of Baja.

That being said leads me onto the 650L. No it does not share anything with the 650R - but it reads as a "Baja ready" dual sport in the Honda advertisements. This alone to Joe Average (even if he knows that is not 100% true) makes him feel good about his DS, as he should, it will provide years and years of faithful service and grins for minimal maintenance. The 650L is a known, it is dated as they say, yet not one bike out there is as good nor has the same track recored for production and reliability.

• HC

Posted August 22, 2006 - 08:38 PM

what will kill the L is emissions. air cooled bikes days are numbered on road.

re a CRF600 i'll believe when i see it. honda hasnt got 20 yrs out of the r or crf yet.

the crf gets its power by revving higher, are there any 600/650 engines out that rev that high? it seems thats how the 650r could make more power. or w/ a hop up kit.

what can you bore /stroke a 450 CRF to? I dont iamgine there is much room to go over. a crf600 would be too fragile for me. but I'm not a racer anymore, lookin for reliability

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 23, 2006 - 05:21 AM

Another option for Honda, re getting more performance out of the 650R is to de-stroke it. That would allow higher revs. De-stroke it down to about 550-600 cc's, go to Ti valves, beef up the valve springs, and you could probably go to 10,000 rpm without sacrificing reliablity.

550-600 cc's at 10,000 rpm would yield in the neighborhood of 60 reliable HP at the rear wheel. More, in race tune.

But then, it would not have the low-end torque the 650R is famous for.

Me, I am happy with my R, just the way she is.

Ride safe.

• Motosprtman

Posted August 23, 2006 - 05:33 AM

I don't understand how an air cooled bike would emit more emission than a water cooled one. Combustion is combustion - internally - resulting in an emission of exhaust. One may be cooler than the other - (exhaust) but both would still emit polutants.

I do think that water cooled motors make better power, and the technology in the CRF motors is awesome. Read the article when you get a chance in Dirt Bike Magazine about the XR650R and the CRF450X in Baja, amazing results in overall top end speeds regardless of displacement difference.

I too would like to see the CRF become a DS, e-start with kick as a backup, minimal legal equipment lights signals horn, maybe a CRF500L or something like that. I would miss the XR650L but ya know - it's already earned it's legendary status, so replacing it with something wiz bang technologically adavnced would be welcomed, I am sure.

• Triumphs

Posted August 23, 2006 - 05:48 AM

Read the article when you get a chance in Dirt Bike Magazine about the XR650R and the CRF450X in Baja, amazing results in overall top end speeds regardless of displacement difference.

Or they could have simply regeared the 650 for more top speed like they obviously did for the (stock) 80 mph 450! Not sure what they were smoking when "modifying" the 650!
100 mph is the top speed of a stock XR! Even the camera men in "Dust to glory" were hitting 115 and Campbell's bike is good for 125! Some project bike! For an encore they will try and make a Suzuki Hayabusa break 140 mph! :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted August 23, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I don't understand how an air cooled bike would emit more emission than a water cooled one. Combustion is combustion - internally - resulting in an emission of exhaust. One may be cooler than the other - (exhaust) but both would still emit polutants....

Combustion is NOT combustion. There is lean combustion and there is rich combustion. Liquid cooled cylinders are so much better at removing heat from the cylinder walls that they are more tolerant of lean mixtures. This lets the manufactures specify stock jetting on a liquid cooled bike much closer to stoich than an air cooled bike would tolerate. This difference in acceptable "leaness" also contributes to why air cooled engines can't handle the same compression ratios as liquid cooled for any given octane fuel.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.