Clutch life span

9 replies to this topic

Posted August 13, 2006 - 07:13 AM

How much use have you guys with 650r's gotten out of you clutches? my 03 650r is about 18 months old and my clutch is on its way out . there is no question i am very hard on it, I do tons of single track and always use the clutch to tame some of the power out of the beast when the going gets tough, but i still thought it would last at least 2 or 3 years. this is the first clutch I've ever done in on a dirt bike :thumbsup: , that said the next most powerful dirt bike I've ever owned was a yzf426. what should i expect to pay for a clutch kit?

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 13, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Run double the amount of clutch lever free play as you would on your YZ. The 650R needs a lot of play. When the bikes first came out guys were burning plates quick 'till they learned the play issue.
You got 18 months, not to bad for riding mostly trails IMO. But the 650 has so much torque it can fry fast. "In" or "out" is what it likes, not slipping.

• Kritter

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:44 PM

run an extra steel plate. the fibers can be in spec and it will still slip becuase the hub to pressure plate distance is too fix that by adding another plate...another of hondas screw ups on the brp.

Posted August 13, 2006 - 01:50 PM

do i just put a new plate beside another plate or do i add another fibre disk and plate? also what is the best clutch kit to buy if i need the go there? i was thinking EBC because they come with disks, plates, and springs

Posted August 13, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I just took my clutch apart and measured everything, it is all well within spec and there is no signs of heat damage or warped plates, actually its way better than i thought. i guess i need to add a plate. question is where is the best place to put it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kritter

Posted August 13, 2006 - 06:16 PM

I always stick with oem parts. the extra metal plate will go in first. do a search for more info on the plate and judder spring.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 13, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Just add one extra steel plate as a spacer under the jutter plate and spring.

• XR650Rrider

Posted August 13, 2006 - 09:53 PM

I just installed a Tusk clutch pack from and you have to remove the judder spring and judder spring washer for this clutch pack to work. I left the extra steel plate in and the clutch feels identical to the original. My son (who rides a yz125) roasted it in Colorado last year on one uphill trail.

Posted August 13, 2006 - 10:00 PM

thanks guy's! is one disk all thats needed or can i get greedy and add two?

• XR650Rrider

Posted August 13, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Read the links but the answer is 1.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.