pricing info on used xr650l motor

9 replies to this topic
  • sweetk30

Posted August 11, 2006 - 04:31 PM

i need to do some work to mine and it has high miles 14k+ . i was thinking of just grabbing a good used low milage motor and do the work to it and drop it in and go.

i found a 2000 with under 3k miles on her. thay want 1100 bucks for it. complet takeout with the basic stuff like starter motor and other things.

is this a fair price or not? i dont realy want to spend the money on a 14k+ mile motor just to still have high miles. when i could just grab this unit.

thanks guys great site. :thumbsup:

• flubber

Posted August 11, 2006 - 08:39 PM

What kind of problems are you having with your current engine? I'll have that kind of mileage on my 03 by mid summer of next year.

• cleonard

Posted August 11, 2006 - 10:24 PM

I wouldn't call 14k miles "high" on a 650L. I'd say "mid" instead. Maintenance or lack there of is much more important at this mileage. When well taken care of and not abused, they go a lot further than 14k.

• captb

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:22 PM

Price sounds good if the miles is correct and it hasn't been beat on bad, part the old engine out and it shouldn't be a bad deal.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 12, 2006 - 03:25 AM

I agree, 14K is not high at all and in fact it's barely even mid!

Whats it need that would make you want to spend 1100 on another motor?

1100 is a good price though but you should not need one yet, not for a looooong time!

If your just talking top end (piston, rings, maybe a few valves?) well that's no big deal at all.

You didn't sieze it up did you :thumbsup: by running it low on oil?

If you don't know how to work on it, see if you can hook up with someone that lives close by on TT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sweetk30

Posted August 12, 2006 - 03:43 AM

this is why in my mind. http://www.thumperta...81&parentpage=3

and it has a electrical problem also it runs when it wants and then kills all by it self at times.

figured i could just pop in this one and do a few mods first then sell the other for parts like said.

if anyone close wants to help i would be willing to try it. i do have a factory service manuel in hand for it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:30 AM

and it has a electrical problem also it runs when it wants and then kills all by it self at times.

figured i could just pop in this one and do a few mods first then sell the other for parts like said.

if anyone close wants to help i would be willing to try it. i do have a factory service manuel in hand for it.

I hear that dave-mods guy is over near cortland.

D

• sweetk30

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:39 AM

does he like to help with this stuff? :thumbsup: :ride:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:43 PM

replace the CDI box, if that doesn't cure it replace the stator with a new ricky stator as the stator on a XR650 has pulser coils on it. Also check the coil. Id check all the parts forst then start replacing them one by one if intermittent.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 14, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I haven't done any L internals, but I've done just about everything else on it.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.