Do you R owners bust your radiators often?

12 replies to this topic
  • bigtooth

Posted August 11, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm still on an XR600R, but I will be upgrading to a 650 someday here, and was wondering for you hardcore R owners how hard to the radiators take it on tumbles. ....... Not that I ever fall or anything :thumbsup:

• captb

Posted August 11, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I han't yet in four years, but if you crash alot get rad gaurds.

• BIG RED

Posted August 11, 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'd just ask you how often do you break off engine cooling fins when you crash? just kidding! i've crashed lots and never bent one yet

• PIP RC51

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:35 PM

Sorry but I do not own a XR650R....YET, but am in the market for a L or R. I have been leaning toward the R and making it street legal. I have been wondering the same... Could someone post a picture of a R with the rad protectors. Wondering how they look / work...

THANKS.

PIP

• cleonard

Posted August 11, 2006 - 10:31 PM

Luck has a lot to do with it. On e of my friends replaced his 650L in 97 with a KTM640. He crashes at least once every time we ride. In the last 9 years, the rads have been bent, and straightened, several times. So far they have never broken. Another friend picked up a WR450 last year. I don't remember exactly, but he had to replace a radiator within the first few months.

If you ride in the far back country, I think you can carry a few hoses and bypass a damaged radiator. It's something that you need to test at home before you need it.

Yes it is a point of failure, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:10 PM

I've rode & raced liquid cooled dirt bikes for the past 15 years, 2 & 4 strokes & have never had to replace a radiator. I have bent them often enough & did a monor repair on one with JB weld which lasted for years but never damaged one enough to get me stranded. I have crashed a LOT over the years in brushy, treed and open desert conditions broken several bones & replaced the plastic all around on them. Admittedly I might be lucky on this point, but I have many friends with the same and more experience that have not replaced radiators. I don't think it should be a consideration when chosing a bike so long as you're willing to perform the basic maintenance of a cooling system.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted August 12, 2006 - 04:39 AM

I slightly tweeked one once not bad at all cant hardly tell after that I bought a set of devol rad guards and these suckers are awesome, I'll post a pic later today

• pigryder

Posted August 12, 2006 - 04:41 AM

Luck has a lot to do with it. On e of my friends replaced his 650L in 97 with a KTM640. He crashes at least once every time we ride. In the last 9 years, the rads have been bent, and straightened, several times. So far they have never broken. Another friend picked up a WR450 last year. I don't remember exactly, but he had to replace a radiator within the first few months.

If you ride in the far back country, I think you can carry a few hoses and bypass a damaged radiator. It's something that you need to test at home before you need it.

Yes it is a point of failure, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

um yamaha trash :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted August 12, 2006 - 04:52 AM

I have gone down in many spills. So far, my radiators have a few little dents on the outside edges, but nothing that is major, leaking, or requires new radiators.

P.S. Stock radiators for an XR650R cost around 300 bucks per side. A stock radiator for a CRF or CRFX are around 600 bucks per side.

• ProMed

Posted August 12, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I have gone down in many spills. So far, my radiators have a few little dents on the outside edges, but nothing that is major, leaking, or requires new radiators.

P.S. Stock radiators for an XR650R cost around 300 bucks per side. A stock radiator for a CRF or CRFX are around 600 bucks per side.

CRF radiators are not $600 per side. You can buy bigger, badder Fluidyne radiators for $389 for BOTH sides. You can buy new OEM units in several eBay stores for less than $150 for one side or $240 for both sides.

• texsurfer

Posted August 13, 2006 - 04:14 PM

my first 650R was dropped quite a few times on its sides. never bent the rad. until i was trying to get up some rocks one time. it fell over and the weight of the bike was on the radiator and it tweaked it good. made the bottom outlet out of round. got home, took it off and got the outlet round again so it wouldn't leak round the hose. no flow problems, it just had a curve in it.

• Supplicate

Posted August 13, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Have Devol rad guards, saved me one for sure. Everything was bent and twisted outside of the guard, but the core was still good and doesn't have any leaks (yet).

The minute they are toast, fluidyne here I come :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 13, 2006 - 08:20 PM

I have been riding the XR605R since they first hit the showroom floor in feb. of 2000. logged 7000 miles of trails and never ruined a radiator yet. I have no special guards protecting them either. I bent one pretty good but it never leaked.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.