Yet another Flywheel question

9 replies to this topic
  • Gatorbiker

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:45 AM

I have ordered a beautiful 2007 YZF 450 (white the faster color).

I am planning to change the flywheel because I mostly do trail riding and race HareScrambles. I know many people put a 6oz heavier flywheel.

My question is: Yamaha has two different heavier flywheels and unfortunately they don't indicate the weight in oz. here in Quebec (we are metric); there are the two available which do you recommand?

Part # GYT-2S297-50-50 Inertia 6.2 KG-CM2
or
Part # GYT-2S297-50-00 Inertia 1.4 KG-CM2

I believe the 50-50 makes it the YZ more like a WR and the 50-00 makes it only a bit smoother... is that correct? :thumbsup:

Thanks

• Turismo

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:50 AM

that is correct, but ride the bike first.
Power is so smooth, you won't need flywheel weight.

• Gatorbiker

Posted August 12, 2006 - 05:55 AM

that is correct, but ride the bike first.
Power is so smooth, you won't need flywheel weight.

I have a 2006 WR450 and a friend a 2006 YZF 450, the difference in power in impressive, however in tight woods or muddy conditions, I get more power to the ground/ more traction, I believe largely because of the heavier flywheel.

So I guess the YT-2S297-50-50 Inertia 6.2 KG-CM2 is the one that is about 6oz. heavier than the stock YZ.

• CROGGR

Posted August 12, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I have ordered a beautiful 2007 YZF 450 (white the faster color).

I am planning to change the flywheel because I mostly do trail riding and race HareScrambles. I know many people put a 6oz heavier flywheel.

My question is: Yamaha has two different heavier flywheels and unfortunately they don't indicate the weight in oz. here in Quebec (we are metric); there are the two available which do you recommand?

Part # GYT-2S297-50-50 Inertia 6.2 KG-CM2
or
Part # GYT-2S297-50-00 Inertia 1.4 KG-CM2

I believe the 50-50 makes it the YZ more like a WR and the 50-00 makes it only a bit smoother... is that correct? :ride:

Thanks

Get the 50-50 (9oz more than the stock 18oz) it works great and doesn't make the bike feel much different at all except at slow speeds. It just allows the bike to hook up better and not stall. If it revs a bit slower it isn't noticable and in side by side drag races the only difference is.... the gyt equipped bike gets out of the gate a little quicker and then holds it all the way to the rev limiter. The bike is easier to ride and lets you pull a taller gear most of the time. The 50-00 is a (5oz) and isn't quite enough for most circumstances but is better than stock and I believe should come on the bike stock. Either one is an improvement and you won't regret it! :thumbsup:

• beggers

Posted August 12, 2006 - 03:04 PM

I have been thinking of putting a Flywheel weight on my 06, i had read about all the advantages of one but...... what are the disadvantages????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gatorbiker

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:05 AM

Get the 50-50 (9oz more than the stock 18oz) it works great and doesn't make the bike feel much different at all except at slow speeds. It just allows the bike to hook up better and not stall. If it revs a bit slower it isn't noticable and in side by side drag races the only difference is.... the gyt equipped bike gets out of the gate a little quicker and then holds it all the way to the rev limiter. The bike is easier to ride and lets you pull a taller gear most of the time. The 50-00 is a (5oz) and isn't quite enough for most circumstances but is better than stock and I believe should come on the bike stock. Either one is an improvement and you won't regret it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the excellent advice, I am planning to follow it. I am pleased with the powerband of my WR450, so I will feel right at home, with just 35 pounds less to carry!
:ride:

• Turismo

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:13 AM

I have been thinking of putting a Flywheel weight on my 06, i had read about all the advantages of one but...... what are the disadvantages????

None if you don't go overboard with the weight. The WR's are overboard.

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2006 - 10:20 AM

There's quite a bit more than flywheel weight difference between the WR and the YZF, but yes, the WR does have a lot more flywheel on it, and you probably wouldn't want that much on your YZ. On that we agree.

The earlier YZ450F, the '03 in particular, and the '04, was snappy responsive at low speeds to a fault, and even with prudent throttle control, managing the power vs. traction problem was difficult, and a significant drain on the rider's mental energy. Even for an MX bike, trail riding notwithstanding, more flywheel weight was needed to address that problem.

But the '06 is so much more controllable that you may not need more flywheel in order to make it manageable at low speed at all.

But there is another benefit to extra rotating inertia; the prevention of stalling at low rpm. That one would apply to an '06 as well as an earlier model. Heavier flywheels keep things turning better while bumping along in the boulders, and even though you probably won't need the weight to manage the power output of the '06, you might want it to avoid stalling. The weight will not noticeably, or probably even measurably, affect the way the bike accelerates in 3rd gear or higher at all. The 8 ounce on my '03 is undetectable on pavement.

Now, if you want to know what real heavy flywheels were like, you should get a ride on a '61 BSA Goldstar, or a Matchless Typhoon.

• DKLEIN

Posted August 14, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Just rode my 06 450 last Saturday at Kennedy Meadows with new off road flywheel weight and was able to pull 2nd and 3rd much better. My buddy was same bike but was using 1st and 2nd I and could catch him out of corners and holes. Both stock gearing,Iam very happy with change more track able.

• mpl239

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Grey, what thoughts do you have for an 01 YZ426, wrt additional rotating mass?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.