Clutch help

9 replies to this topic
  • KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:55 AM

My brothers YZ has a bit of a clutch problem. Even with the clutch pulled in the back wheel is still engaged. We noticed this when we started the bike on the stand. The clutch was in, but the wheel was spinning. How do you adjust something like that out?

• brown77

Posted August 10, 2006 - 11:34 AM

the wheel looking thing on the clutch lever on the bar turn it

• Zique

Posted August 10, 2006 - 12:50 PM

Yep, just loosen your cable up a bit.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:13 PM

More than likely you won't be able to stop it from doing that. Pretty much every bike has a certain amount of clutch drag and will spin the tire while on the stand with the clutch pulled in. Unless it's stalling the bike and making it creap, or the idle is dropping when stopped while in gear, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Clutch drag is normal, just like he said. It's excessive when you get to the point that it's abnormally hard to find neutral at an idle. If you try to adjust all of it out, the only thing you're likely to accomplish is making the clutch slip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:12 AM

Clutch drag is normal, just like he said. It's excessive when you get to the point that it's abnormally hard to find neutral at an idle. If you try to adjust all of it out, the only thing you're likely to accomplish is making the clutch slip.

That's what happens to his bike, hard to find neutral. And his drag is serious, the wheel really books. And my DRZ doesn't have clutch drag

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Unless it's stalling the bike and making it creap, or the idle is dropping when stopped while in gear,

This too.

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted August 16, 2006 - 02:45 PM

bump??

• bigred455

Posted August 16, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Drag is somewhat normal to a certain degree,which already has been stated. It does lessen when the oil and motor is warm.I can make any bikes rear tire spin slowly, even in neutral with the rear lifted off the ground. When you are first starting your bike cold,while you are warmimg it up,keep pulling in the clutch lever and releasing a few times. This should stop it from stalling when kicking down to first gear. Also check the clutch cable,it might have stretched,and see if any steels are warped,measure clutch springs,and check pressure plate. Tighten up the clutch cable by the lever not LOOSEN,but leave a little play on the lever so you do not get slippage.

• barch88

Posted August 16, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Just like everyone else said, small amount of wheel drag is normal. Mine will usually spin slowly on the stand for a few seconds, but if I stop it with my hand or let it go for more than a minute it will stop and not spin anymore. As long as it's just doing this, and not like pulling you or the bike, like it would be if you're in gear...it's fine.

If it is pulling though, and stalling out...you may want to take off you're clutch cover and check it out inside there for wear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.