XR650R Dual Sport Key Switch

4 replies to this topic
  • boondkr1

Posted August 10, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Trying to wire up a key switch but don't have schematics avaiable. I figure the 2 pole switch connects with the kill button but I can't figure where it would be best to splice and what color the wire is. I believe a kill button goes directly to ground? BD dual sport kit.

• pburke

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:04 AM

to make sure what wires get interruped or connected by the kill switch, get a voltmeter and figure and double check, but based on the Baja Designs wiring, the kill connects to green/yellow and black/white from the stock bike.

I've decided against a key since it's so darn obvious how to bypass it. I'm installing a hidden kill switch somewhere out of sight under the tank maybe, but ultimately I will have to rely on a fat lock and the inability of the thief to kick start this thing. The only time I will have it parked in public is when I am riding it to work, and there will be a lot of nicer bikes next to mine to steal first :thumbsup:

Peter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted August 10, 2006 - 11:25 AM

I have a BD DSK. I just installed a keyed switch on mine. It was part of a combo speedo/switch assembly, though I'm not sure who sells them as I bought it still in the box from the guy I bought the bike from. The wiring is quite simple. There are 2 wires from the stock harness that are connected to the DSK harness. They are readily identified-one is black with white stripe, the other is green from the stock harness. These leads are connected to the DSK to provie the kill switch function. Simply splice your new key switch into these leads (doesn't matter which on goes where) and you're done. My switch came with a couple Y connectors so you don't have to do any splicing. If you don't want to splice you can simply disconnect these wires from your DSK & connect the wires to your key switch. This will disable the kill switch funtion of your DSK-the bike can only be shut off with the key switch. The reason I wired mine so both work is to make it more confusing for would be theives as you have to have both switches on to start the bike. Good luck!

• rcnutt

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:17 PM

BD sells a key switch that wires right into the kill circut.works great ,but you still have to turn your main power on/off on the l.side control ....

• azfabguy

Posted August 14, 2006 - 04:57 PM

there is a guy on ebay that sells a kit and has some pics up as well

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.