How bad are the stock 2006 tires?

14 replies to this topic
  • Merk67

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:08 AM

Yesterday I was on an MX track for the 2nd time in my life. To me, the front tire on my 2006 YZ450F seemed to push way too easily through turns. I crashed once that way. Granted, I'm brand new to MX and a better riding technique would help tremendously. But still.... it seemed pretty bad. I'm an ex-roadracer, so although I'm new to MX I do know what a front-end push/slide feels like. I tried pushing my weight as far up as possible, and that helped, but the front was still pushing like a plow. The rear came all the way around on me once too...but I think that one was operator error. Are new tires a worthwhile investment even though the stock ones still have life in them? Or should I shut-up, ride a little bit slower, and concentrate on my riding technique instead? Thanks.

• WFOracer

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Is you bike set up for you? Sag? Springs?

Most people have been dropping there fork to the first line. It should help with the fork push. Depending on what kind of track that you were riding, the front tire might not have been the right choice. But, I think that most people will agree that the stock 739 is junk. I would recommend replacing it as well at the stock chain with a DID ERT or a renthal R1.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 08:24 AM

Yesterday I was on an MX track for the 2nd time in my life. To me, the front tire on my 2006 YZ450F seemed to push way too easily through turns. I crashed once that way.

I also crashed really hard on the first day I rode my '06(My shoulder is still sore a month later, I think I separated the ac). I blamed it on the tyre, but I also believe it was my fault because the front brake works very well! The stock 739 front tyre is designed for hardpacked dirt, so you may want to try 756, which is good for loose dirt or sand, or a 742 which is in between, depending on what terrain you ride on.
Cornering on a Dirtbike can be tough, especially when you've got ruts and bumps and holes all over the corner. Aswell as getting forward on the seat, also try leaning forward, putting weight on/hanging on the bars to get more weight on the front tyre, and counter-steer too. Watching MX, Flat-track and Speedway racing on tv helped my cornering too.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 08:40 AM

It's interesting how they put a soft terrain tire on the rear and a hard terrain tire on the front. Doesn't make much sense to me. The front tire is horrible IMHO. I have also lost the front end on a couple occasions.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:01 AM

It's interesting how they put a soft terrain tire on the rear and a hard terrain tire on the front. Doesn't make much sense to me. The front tire is horrible IMHO. I have also lost the front end on a couple occasions.

1> You're not really that humble (but you're good), and 2> You're right again.

The 739 is a good front tire for it's intended purpose, but it isn't capable of working well in a very wide range of soils at all; just hard surfaces like packed clay, blue groove tracks and asphalt. If you have to do Super Moto with a 21" front, it could be a good choice. At this point, I'm recommending Dunlop D952's or Bridgestone M401A's for the front.

The rear works alright...while it's there.

But as has been mentioned already, there are two things at work here. The tire, obviously, but also the set up. The bike is very sensitive to minor changes in the sag and fork height, and a little change can make all the difference between pushing the front and going right where you want it to. The spring rates have to be right, or you'll never get it to work really well, but assuming they are correct, set the sag at 95-98mm, and pull the forks up to the first scribed line (about 5mm). You'll love the difference.

• Reyndogg

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I had a different front tire mounted up to my 06 before i ever rode it the first time...739 sucks for where i ride.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:54 AM

1> You're not really that humble (but you're good), and 2> You're right again.

Not humble? Who, me? What's supercilious about my post? :thumbsup:

Anyway. Has anyone had experience with the Maxxis SI's? I won a front tire but haven't decided whether to run it or not. If they're a decent tire I'll pick up a matching rear, but I have no experience with them. The tracks around here tend to start out wet and ripped fairly deep and end up fairly hard and dusty. Would I be better served by throwing on some 401/402's or 952's?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merk67

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the great feedback. The bike is not set up for me. It's 100% bone stock - I've never adjusted the sag or comp/reb settings. The guy I bought it from was roughly my size and he said that it was set up pretty good for him. So, being new to the dirtbike world I thought I'd just run his settings until I get more used to it. BTW, the forks are dropped to the 1st line. However, learning more about the 739's design purpose makes sense to me - on the deep/loamy portions of the track the tire was f'n horrible (that's where I crashed twice), but on the packed down corners it wasn't so bad. I thought that was just the roadracer in me, but I guess the tire played a part in it too. I'll probably just anny up and get a new set of tires. Hell - a set of dirtbike tires costs a third as much (or less) than a set of roadrace tires...and they probably last twice as long!

Any further advice on a do-it-all tire combo? I know there has to be a compromise - no tire can do everything perfectly. But, I'd like to use the same bike/tire for trail riding and the occasional MX trackday. Sounds like a 742 is a nice compromise tire - or as grayracer recommends, the 952. What rear would work well with either of these fronts? I'm not pro-Dunlop / Michelin/ Bridgestone/etc.... But I do want a matching set.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:05 PM

that 739 is only good on dry hardpack....nothing else. I never even ride on it when I buy a new bike...it is a crash waiting to happen....
For me I have found the Michelin Starcross MS3 is the very best for all around hook up front and rear :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Not humble? Who, me? What's supercilious about my post? :thumbsup:

Anyway. Has anyone had experience with the Maxxis SI's? I won a front tire but haven't decided whether to run it or not. If they're a decent tire I'll pick up a matching rear, but I have no experience with them. The tracks around here tend to start out wet and ripped fairly deep and end up fairly hard and dusty. Would I be better served by throwing on some 401/402's or 952's?

Just Kidding. :ride:

I haven't tried the SI, but I have tried the IT front, and I didn't like it much at all. I know a couple guys who use the SI front with an IT rear though, because they had trouble tearing up the SI rear. But they say the SI's not that hot on the hard stuff ("It's OK", sums it up). My guess is that your sense that the 401 or 952 would be better is accurate. The 952 is holding up well, too, BTW. We use the Maxxis IT rear almost exclusively because they hold up so well. They do bite very hard in a straight line on intermediate to hard surfaces, but there could easily be better tires for your particular track if you're racing and having something that works the best is more important than longevity.

• flintlock28

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:19 AM

I've had good luck with the 756 up front, and the Maxxis IT on the rear. I ride everything from MX track that varies from slightly loamy to hard-packed dry...and then slightly muddy trails.

The IT wears forever, and works very well on just about everything but pure Mud. I have heard good things also about the Maxxis SI up front also.

I bought my 2004 450f used, and the 739 up front was pretty dangerous with a little wear (it would push out quite a bit)

Don

• ben_suhard

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Any further advice on a do-it-all tire combo? I know there has to be a compromise - no tire can do everything perfectly. But, I'd like to use the same bike/tire for trail riding and the occasional MX trackday. Sounds like a 742 is a nice compromise tire - or as grayracer recommends, the 952. What rear would work well with either of these fronts? I'm not pro-Dunlop / Michelin/ Bridgestone/etc.... But I do want a matching set.

The 756 rear is a good tyre, you can keep that on there 'til it wears out. You can get a 742 front in a new larger size of 90/100 rather than the usual size of 80/100 for a bit more grip, the 756 front is also useable on most tracks. I might try some of those 952's mentioned above, they're an old school tread pattern, long wearing, value for money tyre that Dunlop have recently released for the average dirtbiker.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Alright fellas, tell me what to do.

I put a Maxxis SI front on lastnight since I got it for free and it has to be better than the stocker.

What should I put out back? The stock 756 is already shot. The tracks around here start out fairly wet and turn hard after a couple hours. I tend to stay off the track when it's really muddy. Would the IT work better for me or should I put an SI on? I have never run Maxxis tires so help me out here.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted August 11, 2006 - 12:56 PM

Alright fellas, tell me what to do.

I put a Maxxis SI front on lastnight since I got it for free and it has to be better than the stocker.

What should I put out back? The stock 756 is already shot. The tracks around here start out fairly wet and turn hard after a couple hours. I tend to stay off the track when it's really muddy. Would the IT work better for me or should I put an SI on? I have never run Maxxis tires so help me out here.

That is exactly how tracks are around here. Out of a Maxxis IT, Dunlop 756 and 739, and Michelin MS3 and MH3, I definetly think the MH3 is the best rear tire. It is good early in the day when it is alittle muddy, great when it is perfect, and it is the best tire ever in hardpack. And yet, still has almost the same amount of traction when the knobs are rounded than it had when new.

But I have heard from sktom(sp?) that a Maxxis SI is good in those conditions. I think he said it is like a IT in hardpack but is alot better when it is muddy. But still even if it is like a IT in hardpack I would not get it. The IT was just too squirrely for me in every terrain.

• jamiehughes

Posted August 11, 2006 - 07:26 PM

i like a dunlop d755 on the front and the new dunlop 952 in the 120 size on the rear. the wider tire is actually supposed to help this bike track better in the corner? at least thats what some friends told me. they seem to work well for me. but new tires front and back on any bike just plain kick ass the first couple of rides out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.