DS safety

3 replies to this topic
  • hypersthenos

Posted August 10, 2006 - 12:31 AM

Well I just finished a few last minute preps getting ready for tomorrow's ride, which is all on public roads. Thought my rear turn signals were a little dim. Removed the amber lenses & was surprised how dirty they were on the inside. A good cleaning with a damp rag has them much more visible ( I have the BD DSK). Got me thinking about safety. I'm no longer single, racing bikes & basically riding balls out all the time. Now I've got a wife, kids, job mortgage, etc. I just want to be as visible as possible out there. Short of wearing a neon green tuxedo I want as visible as possible within reason. I recently posted questions about LED replacement bulbs in hopes that they are brighter with the added bonus of requiring less wattage. A friend today told be they indeed are but are pretty spendy. He said a 1157 equivalent replacement LED is like $40! I think I'll just go to the local NAPA & see if they have a brighter single element bulb that will fit the stock signals. Anyhoo if anyone out there has any other "bright" ideas I'd be interested. Be careful out there!

• Huffa 2

Posted August 10, 2006 - 02:10 AM

Here is a link to some http://www.fourstrok...ly.com/Led.html

I replaced my 1157 trailer light with a whole 64 led tail light assembly and they were 25 a piece verses 9.00 for a 1157 assembly so they are not too much more considering they are never supposed to burn out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 11:24 AM

The problem with just replacing the 1157 bulb, with a LED module that fits in place of the 1157, is that they don't seem to point right. Bulbs put out light in all directions, but the LEDs are focused. Most 1157 LED modules have the LED pointing axially. This will not work with my tail light, as mine has the bulb sideways, not pointing straight back.

I have had very poor luck with bulbs. They never seem to make it through a single ride. I bought 100 red and 100 yellow LEDs on ebay, and I'm doing my own retrofit.

• hypersthenos

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:58 PM

So it sounds like some other mods to the wiring are necessary to provide long life for replacement LEDs? Some sort of voltage reduction or something?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.