hot start lever is stuck

3 replies to this topic
  • sc56

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:04 PM

I have a 04 yz 450f and my hot start lever just stuck and i can not get it to open. i have lubed it. Is this a common problem or am i just lucky. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• ben_suhard

Posted August 10, 2006 - 08:03 AM

Have you checked that the plunger isn't stuck? It's good to lube it regularly but be careful that you don't strip the thread on the plastic cap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • offthewall

Posted August 10, 2006 - 08:28 AM

It's very possible that if it isn't the lever, it's the plunger. Take that guy off and inspect and lube it. If it still doesn't work, check the carb where the plunger goes to see if it needs some lovin'.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Likely a stuck plunger. It happens because water intrudes into the plunger bore, usually while washing, and then sits and corrodes the aluminum around the plunger, freezing it in place.

Pull the tank and open up the top of the hot start assembly at the carb (you'll want to disconnect the lever end of the cable). Put a good strong penetrating solvent (WD40 is a waste of time) on top of the plunger and let it try to work for a while. Then see if you can work it loose. Be careful, it's brass, and it will break. In extreme cases, you'll have to drill it, thread it, and pull it.

Once out, You have to remove ALL of the corrosion with a stiff plastic or brass brush (like a pistol barrel brush), or it will "grow back".

You can prevent this from happening again, or in the first place, by either of three methods. The first is never to get the bike wet, but we'll say that's not practical. Alternatively, you can put waterproof grease on the plunger after each ride. Or, you can do what I do, which has worked for nearly two years, and that is to start the bike after washing it and while the choke is still on, pull the hot start and let it run that way for 20-30 seconds to draw water out of the passageway, if any is there. Push the choke off and rev the engine a few times, pulling the hot start when you let off the throttle to expose the passageway to even higher vacuum. Since I've been doing this, mine has never stuck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.