XR650R lifespan, problems, price etc

14 replies to this topic
  • destroyer_au

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hi all

I'm just looking at buying my first XR650R which will be a used one.. :thumbsup:

Just wondering what is the max kilometres/mileage you can get on one of these before problems are inevitable? What kinda probs would you expect to see at various mileage? (engine/stearing head etc?)

I'm not really in too great a rush to buy, but I'm looking at one at the moment, a 2000 model with 16000km (9900 miles) on it (the Australian version has an odometre (in km), dunno if the US version does). The seller wants $4650AUD ($3550USD) for it. Looks kinda scratched up, has all the gear required to be road legal, but still reasonably presentable, what do ya reckon about the price?

Thanks for your input!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:10 PM

In the states that would be a bit high considering the mileage.

Check the wheel bearings, countershaft seal, spokes for tightness. If the rider kept up on oil changes every 300 to 600 miles and adjusted the valves every 800 miles and kept up on any issues that might have arose it could still be good for another 7000 to 10000 miles of reliability. there are too many variables to make an accurate evaluation. I could concieve of 30000 on mine but i know what has been done to it cause I bought it new.

• xrmarty

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:40 PM

the price sounds a little steep. However these bikes are indestructible. My buddy with whom I ride frequently once busted his side engine case and rode the bike back to camp with almost no oil left. that was about 3 years ago. The bike is still in great running condition and we ride long trail all the time.

• Troy_Bell

Posted August 09, 2006 - 11:02 PM

I agree with Old_Man_Time. It seems a little pricey. I had a 2001 650R with about 9300 miles on it and I never had any engine problems. I changed the oil every 600 miles or so. The air cleaner had to be cleaned constantly because I always seemed to find a very fine layer of dust inside the airbox. I also had a few spokes that had to be tightened after every ride. These bikes can take a serious beating.

• pburke

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:38 AM

price is a little high - maybe 2900 - all depends on what "a little scratched up" means and what else is special about the bike.

I just bought an '01 with unknown mileage, yet in very nice condition for $3600. Also a little steep, but the bike came with Edelbrock, big tank, Baja Design kit, ricky Stator, billet Rack, LED tail light, multiple sprockets, stainless steel oil filter, etc, plus all original parts, all things I was considering to buy anyway.

Check Ebay, search for some closed auction prices, and take those as a guide.

Knowing he owner you're buying from, or at least being able to check out the bike in person before buying has some big advantages over onilne buying, though, so you may elect to pay a little more for the bike you can touch and ride before comitting to buy.

Peter

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 10, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Let's remember our friend Destroyer is talking Australia prices, guys. American prices for just about any bike you can name are going to be lower than most any other developed country in the world. Not sure why, just is.

Anyway, Destroyer, price-wise its all about supply and demand, right?. You know what bikes are getting in Australia, how would this R compare to say a similar year / condition Trans Alp or a Suzuki DR650?

Durability-wise, assuming it has not had the living crap beat out of it, you should get better than average longivity out of the 650R. It is very rare to hear someone with serious engine problems.

I bought my 650R sight-unseen off eBay. I could not be happier and am freaking passionate about that bike. Go with your gut: what's the bike telling you?

Ride safe and good luck! Let us know how you decide.

• ProMed

Posted August 10, 2006 - 07:29 AM

I just put my beautiful big red pig up for sale today sadly... We are in the process of buying a new house and my current situation is forcing this sale. Mine was listed here in the states for around the same price range but is in nearly perfect condition. Not-so-secretly I am hoping everyone thinks the price is too high and it doesn't sell. Then I am off the hook!!

http://www.thumperta...p?product=15771

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • destroyer_au

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the input everybody

I got curious and checked the prices on US ebay... Seems like it would be cheaper to pay all import duties + GST + shipping to import a used bike from the states than it would be to buy the same one here ;-) *sigh* ;p

So far I don't think it's possible to find a decent low km used bike here for less than $5000, and probably a little rarer to have decent aftermarket parts on it at that price, but I'll keep my eyes open. ... just gotta hold it together and wait for the right bike :thumbsup:

InternalCombustion: Interestingly .AU ebay shows thumpers from other Japanese manufactuers seem to sell very cheaply in comparision with the XRs.. maybe half price. The XR650Rs in particular seem to hold onto their value.. Bad for me, but I suppose thats good news if you bought one new ;-)

ProMed, nice bike I wish there were a few like that turning up on ebay here.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 11, 2006 - 01:30 AM

I just put my beautiful big red pig up for sale today sadly... We are in the process of buying a new house and my current situation is forcing this sale. Mine was listed here in the states for around the same price range but is in nearly perfect condition. Not-so-secretly I am hoping everyone thinks the price is too high and it doesn't sell. Then I am off the hook!!

http://www.thumperta...p?product=15771

Posted Image

HEY :ride: Quit showing that bike to every one or I'll only give you 3400 for it ! :applause:

Seriously though destroyer, if the constuction of that bike is built in typical Honda fashion (fashion =ing indestructable) motor wise, which we all know it is, it should just keep on ticking for 30,40,50000 miles and then some. I think the 1st think that may need tinkering (just a guess) would be the clutch but that depends on your riding and with all that torque I can't see anyone using (slipping it) it very much at all.

There cars go for (not all but a heck of a lot) 2,3,400,000 with out major engine work so I would think a low revving motor like that would go for at least 50,000 before a new piston or valves.

I'm ready to hit the 200,000 mark on my 91 Honda Accord and have expectations of hitting 300 for sure ! :thumbsup:

I don't think that price is too high and agree with InternalCombustion.

• Iggy1

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:06 AM

I agree with Old_Man_Time, I change the oil every 1100kms and valve adjustment every 1400kms the first 2 yrs. Know I change the oil at the same distance unless on a long trip and adjust the valves every second oil change and I got just over 95,000 kms on mine. I have the HRC KIT installed right from the shop before I took it and only had to change the clutch bearing. Leaving on a 7000km ride next week around Northern Labrador so when I get back she will have over 100,000kms on her. Great bike.

As for the price, depends on what modsare done, how it looks and for sure how it sounds and runs. My friend just bought an 04 for $4250 cdn but he knew the bike and it had only 1127kms on it. Awsome deal for one guy, not so good for the other but thats the way it goes. So if you look around you can find some great one. Good luck, Iggy

• destroyer_au

Posted August 14, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Nice, I kind of expected it but still great to hear these beasts are just as reliable as the 250/400 CC versions.

• destroyer_au

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:53 AM

Whoops,

I lost my patience and bought a good condition Husky TE610 with aftermarket exhaust system and pumper carb ...

.... I suppose I should head over to the Husky forum for now.... But I will be back! :thumbsup:

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 07, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Whoops,

I lost my patience and bought a good condition Husky TE610 with aftermarket exhaust system and pumper carb ...

.... I suppose I should head over to the Husky forum for now.... But I will be back! :thumbsup:

Awesome! Congrats!

The current generation Huskys are great looking bikes and have mountains of power. You're going to love that bike.

Enjoy!

Ride safe, destroyer_au.

• destroyer_au

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Well after a while I sold the TE610 and bought a 2k1 xr650r

I bought the XR650R cheap with only 5000kms on it, and also an aftermarket pipe (staintune). It had a destroyed front end.. (collapsed from riding into a ditch). The fork tubes were bent, front rim flattened, axel bent, headlight smashed, but the rest of it was fine (tripple clamps, stearing head, frame etc). I also found a front end cheap from another otherwise wrecked bike, and combined the two ;-)... I couldnt have been happier with the result.

Just an opinion on the two bikes:

I love the XR650R, it's a great bike, better than I expected. On almost all terrain I find it easier to go faster than I could on the Husky. I think in hard slow terrain like erroded uphill trails, that's mostly because of low end torque and a better clutch feel, making it lots harder to stall. The lower seat is also helpful.
The husky had awesome suspension for soaking up larger hits, but the XR deals with small things like stutters in dirt roads a lot better at various speeds. It isnt too bad at larger hits, like small jumps, but just isnt as nice as the husky was. Then again the Husky I owned had the suspension upgraded by teh previous owner and I'm comparing it to a stock XR. .. still the husky was lighter and had USD forks...
The XR being a fair bit heavier (about 25kg), can be a just little harder to keep upright while turning on things like sand berms ;p .. but it has more power, more top speed, and a really nice maitenence cycle on the engine.

Oh and the Husky's seat is like a razor blade .. which takes some getting used to, and is no fun for commuting.

I'll post pics of both bikess sometime in the near future, when I have done some worthwhile mods to the xr.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:45 AM

I agree with Old_Man_Time, I change the oil every 1100kms and valve adjustment every 1400kms the first 2 yrs. Know I change the oil at the same distance unless on a long trip and adjust the valves every second oil change and I got just over 95,000 kms on mine. I have the HRC KIT installed right from the shop before I took it and only had to change the clutch bearing. Leaving on a 7000km ride next week around Northern Labrador so when I get back she will have over 100,000kms on her. Great bike.

As for the price, depends on what modsare done, how it looks and for sure how it sounds and runs. My friend just bought an 04 for $4250 cdn but he knew the bike and it had only 1127kms on it. Awsome deal for one guy, not so good for the other but thats the way it goes. So if you look around you can find some great one. Good luck, Iggy

Wow, I was thinking mine might be getting a little tired with 17K miles. Guess not.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.