new to 2 wheels

13 replies to this topic
  • zooyork12

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:57 PM

Im buying a dirtbike...always rode quads...is there anything wrong with 03 yz450f? im going to look at one on sunday and wanted to know what to look out for..
thanks

• kyleyz

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:01 PM

make sure you ride it and not just look at it!! it may be too much for you :ride:

what quad are you coming off of? :thumbsup:

a 250f might be wiser

• kawirider

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:02 PM

You have bought ORV's before you know what to look for. Just be careful with the '03 YZ450F. They have a VERY hard midrange hit. It can be unnerving but you can fix it with a pipe or a flywheel weight.

• offthewall

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Look for the obvious stuff: Does it run? Does it run well? Does it look like it's been taken care of? Other than the usual, all Yamahas are built to last so if it looks and feels good, it probably is good. However, like Kawirider said though, I would be most concerned about that thing takin off with your arms when it hits that midrange.

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Careful what you ask for. Be sure to spend a few hours on a 450 before you decide to buy one. That is if you have not rode dirt bikes much, the 450 is not a pleasant bike to learn on.

Several guys at my work bought NEW 450s and had hardly any experience riding. Needless to say, they don't own dirt bikes anymore. None got hurt, and they will not come out and say it, but it scared the sh1t out of them. They don't want anything to do with the sport anymore.

There is nothing wrong with the 250F, ride that bike for a year or two then go for the beast. :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:39 PM

Things to look for...

Check how clean the airbox is, that can tell a lot how he maintains the bike, is the filter clean too? Check the chain slack, make sure it's in spec (2-3 fingers). Does it look clean, well maintained? How about the sprockets, they look good, or really worn? Chain looks good? Check the oil, asked how often he changes it, along with filter, and of course RUN it. Make sure it's all good, maybe even ask him to check the valves for you if you're really interested, just so you can get even a better idea how good the bike is.

I started on a TTR-125L (5 years on it), jumped from that to a '06 YZ450F, I'm already starting to throw whips on the 450f within a month of riding. It's not bad to get used to, as long as you rode something before, know how to use clutch, and basic riding skills, you will be fine. Just takes a few rides to get used to the bike and power.

• Kyle Prior

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:39 PM

I recently purchaed my first bike, and got a 00 YZ426F, and its awesome. I rode an 03 450 when I was looking, and it did scare me... The 426 even scares me a bit, since its my first bike, but I remember to keep a level head, and not be stupid about anything, as to not kill myself. Have fun with whatever bike you choose, and remember, don't try and ride past your skill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zooyork12

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:18 AM

make sure you ride it and not just look at it!! it may be too much for you :ride:

what quad are you coming off of? :thumbsup:

a 250f might be wiser

lets see...400ex to a 660raptor full race susp. full race bike*

ive rode many dirtbikes...crf450-kx65 i always go ridding with my buddies who all have db...ive even rode a 1995 cr250 at a track..and if you know that year had the worst susp. of any cr...

i was just wondering if the bikes had any bugs...because isnt 03 the first 450? insted of the 426....

• motogandy3

Posted August 10, 2006 - 12:26 PM

my 450 is great but i just had to replace the front brake cable due to the rotor wearing on the line... so check the front brake line for wear around the rotor area

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:00 PM

lets see...400ex to a 660raptor full race susp. full race bike*

ive rode many dirtbikes...crf450-kx65 i always go ridding with my buddies who all have db...ive even rode a 1995 cr250 at a track..and if you know that year had the worst susp. of any cr...

i was just wondering if the bikes had any bugs...because isnt 03 the first 450? insted of the 426....

I believe you can handle it...but it is a beast - very very hard hitting bike. It does have issues as I have one - maintaining it correctly will yield years of trusty service...

for a stock 03 you will need:
needs a flywheel weight 4-8oz for MX
needs different clutch plates if it is noisy - most all are when new
stock bars and chain and 739 tires are junk
difficult to turn stock - needs either offset tripleclamps or a StormRacing link
stock suspension needs help - midstroke harshness and breakingbumps are not its friend...until it is revalved and subtanked
needs fuel adj screw
needs to be jetted correctly - I will stall easy

I have a ton of $ in mine and it as great.....but it wasn't until I put a ton of money into it...Suspension work is key. Reliability is awesome 200+ hrs and the piston/head/ valves were in great shape before I big bored it.

I suggest a 04 or 05 - as many issues were refined - but the hit is not the same as a 03 - good, bad or ugly - this bike will tire you out quicker than a 04,05 or 06......but not much will pass you in a drag race........ :thumbsup:

What comes with the 03 you are looking at (aftermkt)? and how much are you going to pay?

• zooyork12

Posted August 10, 2006 - 06:02 PM

thanks for the help...im sure as it being my first dirtbike...i wont notice all the things you talk about...ehh...who knows...

:applause: black excel wheels :thumbsup: , tag bars, full yosh pipe renthal sprockets...new graphics...
3000$$$

the guy said he works at a dealership in tuscon arizona...so all the maint. stuff has been done and up kept. :ride:

i read about it hitting you hard...
but whats the flywheel weight?

• zooyork12

Posted August 10, 2006 - 06:05 PM

how many gears does the bike have?

• Ga426owner

Posted August 11, 2006 - 07:37 AM

it is a 4speed -
Flywheel weight will make it more tractable - ask the owner if he has done this.

• zooyork12

Posted August 11, 2006 - 11:46 PM

any other things? 2cents?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.