Is this chain too loose?

22 replies to this topic
  • Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:30 PM

http://s94.photobuck...mgAnch=imgAnch1

I don't want to break a hub! :thumbsup:

• kawirider

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Its a little bit too loose. You want it just a little tighter. My chain right here is adjusted right about where you want it.
Posted Image

• DPW

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Did you follow the specs in the manual for the '06....1.9~2.3 in

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:17 PM

Nope, I left my manual up at my trailer. :thumbsup:

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Also, that is the factory chain. Is that slack caused by it wearing out? I have only ran about two tanks of gas ran though that bike. If so what is a good chain to put on it and what is the chain part number so I can order it online.

Thanks...

• offthewall

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:58 PM

The quick check is to put three fingers behind the chain slider on the top of the swing arm. If it pulls up nice and tight, then you should be good. Of course, it never hurts to make an actual measurement from time to time and if your fingers are odd-sized, take that in to account!

• FriscoKLR

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yah, I do about 2 1/2 fingers right above the screw on the top of the plastic swingarm guard. Manual spec seems a hair too loose.

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Yah, I do about 2 1/2 fingers right above the screw on the top of the plastic swingarm guard. Manual spec seems a hair too loose.

Spec is a little loose so you will not trash a hub??? :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:59 PM

Looks alright, but could be a tad tighter, mines 2, maybe 2.5 fingers under rear chain slider bolt, but I have big fingers.

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Thanks guys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MAD_POTTER

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:25 PM

Get yourself one of these http://woodworker.co...77&LARGEVIEW=ON or make one out of 1/4" plywood with whatever measurements you want. Makes checking chain tension a piece of cake.

• DigilubeJay

Posted August 11, 2006 - 03:05 AM

http://www.thumperta...313#post3696313

• thumperdt101

Posted August 13, 2006 - 10:51 AM

Hey crash , By looking at your picture, tighten the chain a bit . But if I saw correctly put your case gaurd back on . TM design works awesome . Cuz a torn up hub will be the least of your worries if that chain flies off .

• RideRaceLive123

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Its a little bit too loose. You want it just a little tighter. My chain right here is adjusted right about where you want it.
Posted Image

Too me that looks way too tight.

• barch88

Posted August 13, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Too me that looks way too tight.

Yeah, I wouldn't say "WAY TOO TIGHT" because I seen tighter on some Honda's, but it's on the tight side for sure.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2006 - 04:01 PM

That isn't a Honda.

There have already been two rear hubs broken on '06's that we know of from posts on this forum, both, IMO, due to excessively tight chains. The '03 spec was 1.6-2.0", and the '06 spec is 1.9-2.3". I'd say a little more caution was in order, wouldn't you?

The chain in the picture looks OK to me based on how my '06 looks. The '06 chain does not look the same as the earlier models when it's set up right. The only correct way to do this is MEASURE IT... at least once, anyway.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted August 13, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Also grayracer could a excessively tight chain be bad for the motor(countershaft)?

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Absolutely! The force that an be created by cycling the suspension through the tight point with an excessively tight chain is far greater than anything the engine can muster up on its own. It is almost the only reason that chains physially break other than gross wear or incorrectly assembled master links. It can do a lot of damage to any assembly the chain is connected to.

• barch88

Posted August 13, 2006 - 05:21 PM

That isn't a Honda.

I was just saying, I seen really tight one's on some Honda's, but I think I heard someone say that the Honda's slack is tighter than Yamaha's. Yeah...I seen the broken hubs, and I also agree they were from too tight of chains. It's safer to run more on the loose side than on the tight side IMO, but wouldn't you agree? Sure...the best side to be on is the correct one (within chain slack listed in manual).

Like I said, his chain LOOKS to be tight in that one picture he posted, as for the thread starter, from what my CORRECT slack is, it looks loose, but it still could be within the correct range for recommended slack, like Grayracer said, only way to know for sure is to measure it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2006 - 05:31 PM

One of the things that throws off the visual on the '06's is that the high point in the middle of the swing arm is higher than the earlier ones were, and the spec actually calls for more slack.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.