I just stumbled on this - a lot of good info.

99 replies to this topic
  • Baddog650L

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:34 AM

The XR 650L runs around 30 hp. These numbers change with the weather conditions, gas, and your bike's daily temper. To get really high horsepower numbers at the wheel, you need to change the top end of the motor drastically, then change the mechanical advantage at the wheel. If you do this, you will get high numbers on the dyno. All the other changes are just fluff and cleanup of the running characteristics.

If you sum up all the changes, your bike will become a an 80's style desert racer. That is not all that bad if you ask me.

I also recommend running the best oil possible and feel for your clutch slipping. If the clutch does slip, try a different motor oil. Never use straight Mobile-1 synthetic. This will be too slick for the clutch to run properly under the power conditions.

• Baddog650L

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:45 AM

If you extend your bike's effective RPM range, your top speed goes up. Your fun factor also goes way up. Improving intake and exhaust flow is one way to take advantage of any changes you make. Dialing in the jetting ensures that your bike will run well in summer, winter, and when the rain in pouring down. If any of these things is not dialed-in, you may have spent a lot of money getting a few horsepower, and bad engine behavior.

These concepts apply to any motorbike.

The 650L is a very sturdy bike that requires little or no maintenance after your ride. I only inspect and shake a few critical components, then ride the bike to work. This also applies to the Baddog version. The only change in maintenance is more frequent oil changes.

• ThumpNRed

Posted August 09, 2009 - 12:29 PM

BadDog
I'd love to see some pics of the BadDog 650. You mentioned in an earlier post that your profile has pics... checked and didn't see any.

• martinfan30

Posted August 09, 2009 - 03:45 PM

I built the bike personally. It exists with nearly 20,000 miles on the OD.

Why/where/when did you dredge this thread up?

:thumbsup:

• XR-Cyclone

Posted August 09, 2009 - 03:54 PM

BadDog
I'd love to see some pics of the BadDog 650. You mentioned in an earlier post that your profile has pics... checked and didn't see any.

Click on his name and in the upper right side of the page you see a 1" x 1" photo of it. Can't see a lot about it.

I would like to see bigger and more detailed pics of this bike as well unlike some of the haters on this thread. Keep the info coming baddog.:thumbsup:

• Baddog650L

Posted August 10, 2009 - 05:05 PM

I will do my best to get the images online and post them here. I have lots of great info. unfortunately, the sprocket tooth count from my old website was incorrectly posted. Unless I am mistaken, my front sprocket is 13 teeth. I have images of the sprockets side-by-side, and a host of other parts. I have a complete photo history of the build with the exception of the motor.

• Baddog650L

Posted August 10, 2009 - 05:22 PM

J T! How are ya man!?! I am sorry my XR website is down. This whole thread was posted because someone found one of my humorous ramblings and posted it. I would put the site back up as a whole new version, but I do not have the time right now. I also wanted to post my dyno charts.

I have gotten both good and bad comments here. I hope people keep it upbeat and fun for all!

• J_T

Posted August 10, 2009 - 05:34 PM

J T! How are ya man!?! I am sorry my XR website is down. This whole thread was posted because someone found one of my humorous ramblings and posted it. I would put the site back up as a whole new version, but I do not have the time right now. I also wanted to post my dyno charts.

I have gotten both good and bad comments here. I hope people keep it upbeat and fun for all!

What have you been up to?
What sort of riding have you been doing these days? Any Track days, or traveling? Any major mods being planned for the XRL?

• Kenzo

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:10 PM

What have you been up to?
What sort of riding have you been doing these days? Any Track days, or traveling? Any major mods being planned for the XRL?

okaaaa...it's beginning to make sence now :thumbsup:

Posted Image

:worthy:

• J_T

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:12 PM

okaaaa...it's beginning to make sence now :thumbsup:

Posted Image

:)

Ha Ha, yea thanks :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baddog650L

Posted November 17, 2009 - 03:31 PM

The web page is up and running. www.myfastware.com Sorry it took so long.

I am wondering what people will say. The site is for the backyard mechanic, which makes up most of us. The bike getting up there in miles. I am kinda shocked that I can still wrap the speedo all the way around and not blow the motor. I hope everyone likes the site.

So far, the bike has gotten a lot of good thoughts from those I ride with. One thing that is most important is that this bike can be ridden anywhere, for any distance, at any speed and is a great learning tool for everyone. I have had few problems since the engine was tuned correctly. I hope my experiences do everyone a lot of good.

Enjoy.

• Baddog650L

Posted November 17, 2009 - 03:31 PM

The web page is up and running. www.myfastware.com Sorry it took so long.

I am wondering what people will say. The site is for the backyard mechanic, which makes up most of us. The bike getting up there in miles. I am kinda shocked that I can still wrap the speedo all the way around and not blow the motor. I hope everyone likes the site.

So far, the bike has gotten a lot of good thoughts from those I ride with. One thing that is most important is that this bike can be ridden anywhere, for any distance, at any speed and is a great learning tool for everyone. I have had few problems since the engine was tuned correctly. I hope my experiences do everyone a lot of good.

Enjoy.

• valvesrule

Posted November 17, 2009 - 06:36 PM

I'm going to put my smog back on and take it off a few times to see if I can get over 100HP! If my master link can handle it. If not I'll build an oil bath chain enclosure to keep the chain cool. Wait, I don't get the joke.

• MetricThump

Posted November 18, 2009 - 01:33 AM

I'm going to put my smog back on and take it off a few times to see if I can get over 100HP! If my master link can handle it. If not I'll build an oil bath chain enclosure to keep the chain cool. Wait, I don't get the joke.

I have a better idea! How about a high performance sticker set!!! thats good for atleast 20hp!!:excuseme:

• Baddog650L

Posted November 20, 2009 - 01:05 PM

I do not get the joke either.

This past year the XR 650L Baddog was running neck and neck with a tweaked new 650R in acceleration. That is not too shabby for a six year-old bike. The 650R is blazing fast but very uncomfortable on long rides. I like them both, but I would rather have the 650L.

The 650R was clearly the better jumper. I think jumping with 4 gallons of gas was probably not helping the 650L. The great part is I never need to fill up.

• brichter

Posted November 21, 2009 - 12:28 AM

The web site isn't up, and I don't think your 70hp is up either...

C'mon post those dyno vids up with the printouts.

• XRToecutter

Posted November 21, 2009 - 10:42 AM

This guy is on a whole new level of EGO, that or he runs his 650L on top fuel.:excuseme:

• soundtech

Posted November 21, 2009 - 04:31 PM

I will do my best to get the images online and post them here. I have lots of great info. unfortunately, the sprocket tooth count from my old website was incorrectly posted. Unless I am mistaken, my front sprocket is 13 teeth. I have images of the sprockets side-by-side, and a host of other parts. I have a complete photo history of the build with the exception of the motor.

130 mph out of a 13 tooth front sprocket must have a 13 tooth on the rear also i have a 15/48 and 85 mph is screaming it might push 90 on a good day and that is with a 30 over 11.5 to 1 and stage 1 cam with a slip on exhaust and daves mod on the carb with a uni filter and mild porting and the inside welds on the header cleaned up

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 23, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Assuming the back tire is a 100/110-18....

130mph on a 13t front sprocket would require a 26t rear sprocket with the stock 7500rpm rev limit. That's on the condition that the engine could make enough power at 7500 to overcome the logarithmically increasing drag at those speeds.

-or-

130mph with 13/48 sprockets would require that the rev limit be raised to 10,800rpm. This carries the even more unlikely condition that the engine could make enough power at 10,800rpm to overcome the drag. Even 13/45 would need 10,100 at the crank.

In other words....

Posted Image

• Baddog650L

Posted November 24, 2009 - 05:21 AM

Awesome discussion! As it turns out, the two weeks ago, a tractor trailer changed lanes on me as he moved from the left lane to the right lane. There was a car behind me and a rough shoulder, so there was only one way to go. I accelerated from middle of the trailer past the tractor before he got half-way into my lane. I looked down for a moment and the speedometer was shaking well past the 100 mark. I am guessing 105 plus. I still had quite a ways to go in RPMs before the motor was at the limit. This was on the 13t front.

I was wearing a plastic chest protector and a bubble helmet with a very streamlined jacket. This surely helped. I also had my feet tucked under and on the passenger pegs. This position is very efficient, but looks odd.

I always wanted to put a tachometer on the motor to see just where redline is with the 10:1 piston in it. I know this bike is not the same animal anymore with the new extended RPM max. 7 to 8+ grand is probably right for the high end. The bike sure sounds that way. The bike runs in ways that are "all kinds of wrong" and should have burnt up a long time ago.

You would still need the 15 on the front for "ludicrous speed" or the motor will surely quit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.