04 wr450 needle procedure question

5 replies to this topic
  • swells454

Posted August 09, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Just got my first Blue Machine. I LOVE It! :thumbsup:
But...I have noticed it "popping" when riding steady (no throttle) in just about any gear. The guy I bought it from added a power tip and increased the main jet a size or two and the pilot jet one size.
I think it is running a bit lean. I notice the backfire now and then on deceleration also.
I want to move the needle clip down one position...but this carb looks different than what I'm used to one the Honda's. Before I tear into it.. does anyone know if it takes any special tools specific for this type of carb?
Also, anyone have the procedure down to just move the needle clip? I searched the archives but didn't really see anything.
Thanks for the help.

• clark4131

Posted August 09, 2006 - 12:55 PM

It should be a standard Keihin carb unless the previous owner changed it to an Edlebrock or something. To change the needle...pull the seat and tank, loosen the bands on the intake and exhaust boot, rotate the top of the carb to the left as far as possible, and you should be able to get the top cap off and access the needle, two hex head bolts...no big deal. Once off, twist the throttle bringing the slide to the top and you'll see another hex bolt in the center of the slide. Take that off and you can grab the needle with a needle-nose plier or tweezer. Very simple operation. After a few times, you'll be able to do a complete jetting change in no time at all. I'm now at about 20 minutes, start to finish...SC

• kskyles

Posted August 09, 2006 - 01:28 PM

also check out the jetting guide in the technical articles section of TT. ARin put together a nice, detailed tutorial with pictures that has helped a lot of us.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swells454

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:07 AM

Thanks Guys...That helps out a lot!

• ARin

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I sure am glad that people are finding that tutorial useful.

• drtbk4ever

Posted August 10, 2006 - 11:01 AM

I sure am glad that people are finding that tutorial useful.

That tutorial is fantastic. It gave me enough confidence to tackle my first jetting change.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.