grease dripping from steering tube

14 replies to this topic
  • texas_hippie

Posted August 09, 2006 - 11:53 AM

After a long day of riding in this 100 degree heat, I noticed grease dripping from the steering tube. I know the heat rising from the radiator is softening the stuff up, but I was amazed to find that there is no type of seal to keep the stuff in, when I went to the service manual! Anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix? Point me to a
previous thread if it exists, as I can never seem to get the search function to work due to "heavy traffic".

• drewpeacock

Posted August 09, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Did you regrease bearings lately? I was just reading about grease compatability the other day as it was discussed at length on another forum. http://www.dansmc.com/grease.htm

• WGP

Posted August 09, 2006 - 02:52 PM

.....Once a year (or more if Anal) tear it apart and re-grease.

• GCannon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 04:05 PM

High Quality grease and lots of it!
If you are riding in that 100 degree texas heat I bet the steering head is not the only thing dripping.

• Stranglersfan

Posted August 09, 2006 - 04:12 PM

If you still have your gas vent going in your steering tube, either vent it off to the side or buy a shorty vent. Those fumes break down your grease and cause it to leak out the bottom.
And Yes.....Once a year (or more if Anal) tear it apart and re-grease.

I don't think that is the problem as the vent tube goes inside the headstock shaft which is hollow, therefore the fumes/petrol overflow should not get anywhere near the grease on the bearings. Also i wouldn't recommend using one of the shorty type vents like what's used on the Pitbikes etc. They do look trick but if you ever fill your tank to the brim then the expansion of the fuel will rise up the pipe and drip onto your stickers and quickly kill them. I know this as after putting a brand new hurricane sticker kit and a shorty breather pipe (coz i thought they looked trick) on my newly rebuilt bike. After the first fill-up and brief ride, i headed back to my garage to do the "torque test" i was well annoyed to find petrol had risen up the pipe and caused a nice big stain on my meticulously placed stickers, so that pipe was quickly tossed in the bin and the original was put back on. stay away from them, they're a gimmick, unless you like to replace stickers every other week that is?

Anyway, i think your problem of dripping grease lies elsewhere? i too had the same problem before i stripped the bike for it's hurricane 05 make-over, and my bottom Ball-race and bearing was worn, so i replaced them, fixing the problem. I recommend you strip the Headstock/triple clamps and fit new bearings and check the races for any signs of grooving/scoring, if there is any sign of wear then you'll have to fit new races too. Normally the likes of "All Balls Racing" will provide you the full kit for top and bottom, bearings and races which are not expensive. Follow the manual for removal instructions of the races, not difficult, just a bit fiddly... but before resorting to this, have a look at the tension on the bearings first. they might just need tightening? Again, see your manual on instructions on testing for correct torsion on the steering stem..

Hope this helps? :thumbsup:

• Turismo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:14 PM

After a long day of riding in this 100 degree heat, I noticed grease dripping from the steering tube. I know the heat rising from the radiator is softening the stuff up, but I was amazed to find that there is no type of seal to keep the stuff in, when I went to the service manual! Anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix? Point me to a
previous thread if it exists, as I can never seem to get the search function to work due to "heavy traffic".

It is simply from the oil in the frame.
This is just another reason that regular lubing of the bearings is required.
As for gas fumes breaking it down? :thumbsup: Never heard that one before!

• XRYoda

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Be happy that there is enough grease to drip. It is fine. Re-pack it this winter, and yearly after that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texas_hippie

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Bike is new, 120 miles on it so far. But a retorque is probably a good idea, as every other nut and bolt has come loose so far! Just par for the course on a new bike, I guess.... Just kinda strange, as all my road bikes, and every other dirt bike I've owned thru the last 30 years had some type of rubber/plastic seal.

• Falls A Lot

Posted August 10, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Guys - don't under-estimate the importance of what Turismo stated about engine oil in the frame.......the associated heat is what makes the grease run out of the steering head bearings and this is why I repack my Pig's steering head twice a year.

BTW - I will likely switch to a WR this winter, so I have been reading the WR and YZ boards a bit. Nice boards, very informative.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:44 PM

You say the bike is new, so I assume that you have never greased the headset before now and the cheap a$$ grease the factory puts in the bikes is only just barely good enough to stop it from rusting on the boat over here, so check your swing arm bearings as well. Use some good quality waterproof synthetic grease up in there and you will probably never have that problem again. WR Dave :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted August 11, 2006 - 02:14 PM

I am with Dave.

• drewpeacock

Posted August 11, 2006 - 02:39 PM

I am with Dave.

:thumbsup: :ride: :applause: :applause:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted August 11, 2006 - 05:43 PM

The frame on early YZs and all WRs are like a big oil cooler and gets really hot on extended rides.
Oil in frame means big heat and thinning of the steering head grease is inevitable.
I use Belray waterproof grease and it seems to hold up better. I also slather a big glop up above the lower race before asembly to let kid of slide down over time.
As for the vent tube, Who doesnt use a shorty anymore anyway.

• Turismo

Posted August 11, 2006 - 09:35 PM

You don't think gas will dissolve grease?

No I don't actually. Pull your steering stem out and have a look at the design. :thumbsup:

• TwoBobRob

Posted August 12, 2006 - 05:42 AM

I use the Bel Ray grease also, it definately hangs around longer than most.... I would also agree that its the heat in the frame from the oil within that gives us this problem, regular checking and regreasing is the only solution :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.