$0.25 Trailtech Vapor Mount

13 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:31 AM

I have had my Vapor mounted on my left handlebar for a few weeks now but it looks bad there and is poorly protected, but I didn't want to shell out $50 for a billet mount for a speedo which only costs $99. Also, Trailtech's billet protector mounts on top of the bolts at the top of the handlebar clamp, way too high up for my liking. So I made my own mount.

I picked up a piece of scrap sheetmetal from work (freebie) and with only a dremel tool, a dull hacksaw and a drill. I slowly and tediously cut it into a large U shape to mount between the handlebar clamps using the top two bolts so that it is mounted 1"-1.5" lower than the Trail tech mount which goes on top of the handlebar clamp. My 1/8" thick sheetmetal fits perrfectly in between the handlebar clamp and does not impede torquing the clamp down at all. I drilled two holes at the top to mount the Vapor directly to the bracket wtih the Vapor screws and bolted the whole thing down. The finished bracket doesn't look pretty because I don't have a band saw or a jig saw and it took a long time to make, but once the Vapor is mounted on it, you can't even see the bracket. I figure I used about $0.25 worth of dremel tool cutting discs.

With this homeade mount the Vapor is tucked neatly behind the front headlight shroud and is well protected by my Renthal Handlebars. It is impossible for it to be crushed if the bike lands upsidedown on the handlebars because it is below the crosspad. The mount is surprisingly very solid and it is hard to get it to flex at all when torqued down.

I'll have to get some pics up sometime this week. I love it.

• kskyles

Posted August 09, 2006 - 01:34 PM

very cool.

i'm always fond of saving a few $$. i'm interested to see the pics.

• Turismo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Maybe you can sell your design to Trailtech! :thumbsup:

• hartzpad

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Here are the pics, I made them very large so you can see the detail:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• ETP

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Nice work. Simple and out of the way. You may consider rubber mount isolating the Vapor with washers for some added vibration protection, if you ride hard.

• qwik-E-02CR

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:03 PM

i have a custom mount for mine too. its just the regular Enduro model, but i like it. Its also perfect where i have it, it doenst look tacky, and it works great...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• gregwr450f

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:05 PM

Do your clamps still grip your bars properly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Turismo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:52 PM

i have a custom mount for mine too. its just the regular Enduro model, but i like it. Its also perfect where i have it, it doenst look tacky, and it works great...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

That's a nice place to mount it! Nice work!

• hartzpad

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Do your clamps still grip your bars properly?

Yes, they still torque down really tight and I can't get them to budge at all. There is slightly more than 1/8 clearance between the bar clamps if you test fit the sheetmetal in them and the sheetmetal shows no signs of compression where the clamps sandwich it.

• qwik-E-02CR

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:08 PM

That's a nice place to mount it! Nice work!

thanks! just like the title of this post. about $.25 lol. works great tho :thumbsup:

• kskyles

Posted August 10, 2006 - 09:29 AM

that's very cool. nice and simple. you might have yourself a new business with that idea. you could charge people $24.95 for that kind of work. :thumbsup: :ride:

you'll have to tell us how it rides, and if you have any excessive vibration issues. i'm not sure it even matters.

you should be proud of yourself.

• hartzpad

Posted August 10, 2006 - 01:21 PM

that's very cool. nice and simple. you might have yourself a new business with that idea. you could charge people $24.95 for that kind of work. :thumbsup: :ride:

you'll have to tell us how it rides, and if you have any excessive vibration issues. i'm not sure it even matters.

I've already tortured it. I rode with it on a bunch of rocky terrain on Saturday for about 2 hours and 20 miles. No problems that I can see. If the unit dies in a year or two, I will just buy another one, at $99 for a unit with that many nice features, it is almost disposible if it needs to be.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 10, 2006 - 03:23 PM

I agree, maybe a good idea was born here. I'd be interested, but I'd prefer that it was mounted on top of the bar clam.

during a really bad crash, it is possible that the bars could move. But thats just speculation.

It seems that you did a good job.

• hartzpad

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Just rode another tough 30 miles with it tonight and it works great. Although, it shut down once but that was because the ground wire came loose, I grounded it again to the frame and I was back in business. Mounting it down by the gas filler is just too far down, hard to read at a glance when it is there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.