metal particles in oil filter, excessive?

10 replies to this topic
  • luckyride

Posted August 08, 2006 - 06:31 PM

I recently was given a 02 426 and the previous owner had the cam changed and then never rode it and subseqently gave it to me. I rode it on one ride and was changing the oil and the are small metal particles in the oil filter . I felt like there was an excessicve amount. Is it possible that there could be that much "break-in" on a new cam to get metal particles?

• crashyz426

Posted August 09, 2006 - 08:36 AM

Mine is all stock and the first time I changed the oil there was a lot of particles in it. since then there is some in it every time I cahnge the oil but not much

• bentru

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:36 AM

I typically have some visible particles in my oil filter too. I hope it is normal.

• WFOracer

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:44 AM

I'd recommend a magnetic drain plug from the TT store. There was a fair amount of fine metal stuck to it. I'll take a pic of it next time....

• mike_dean

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:16 PM

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it , and there are metal particles in every oil change, runs great, had piston and rings at 150 hrs, didn't need it, original valves and clutch, so i wouldn't worry about it, BTW i change oil every 8 hrs 20-50 v-twin mobil 1. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • luckyride

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, I will keep watching it every oil change, I was suprised to see it as I have not in other bikes I have owned.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:32 AM

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

• 642MX

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:05 PM

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

Purchase and install and hour meter. :thumbsup:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 11, 2006 - 04:05 AM

Purchase and install and hour meter. :thumbsup:

:ride: Indeed

• BergArabia

Posted August 11, 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have a bit of metal in the filter every oil change.
I think it is normal with the wet clutch and all.

• R_Little

Posted August 11, 2006 - 09:52 AM

It's okay if it's aluminum.

Buy a magnetic drain plug and see what steel bits if any stick to that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.