98 WR400 lights very dim

1 reply to this topic
  • AntiUrban

Posted August 08, 2006 - 04:53 PM

My wr400 has a baja design dual sport kit and has worked great for years will no real problems. The battery used to hold a charge for the first year, but hasn't for some time. Once running though, no problems other than dim at idle.

All of a sudden during a ride, all my lights are now very dim. :thumbsup: I checked the voltage and its at 4 volts at idle and around 6 at higher rpm (did this with battery removed which didn't seem to make a difference).

I tried going through the manual, but I'm not sure how valid they're trouble shooting is considering it's not stock. I checked the resistance of the lighting coil and it was an open circuit when it was supposed to be 0.24 to 0.36 ohms. I guess I need to buy a new lighting coil? Anyone had to do this? My original suspicion was the voltage regulator.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I hate to start replacing components without being sure of the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Suggest calling Baja Designs, good customer service. Did you try to measure voltage with the engine running at fast idle? Should be about 14 VDC or so. If not suspect either the regulator or the stator output. Good luck.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.