IS My BD DSK Regulator Toasted?

2 replies to this topic
  • jamestoo

Posted August 08, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Having just rewound my stator I am only getting 4 volts output from the regulator (Measured at the charge side that connects to the little battery) whereas there are 17 volts + now coming out of my Stator the battery will only hold the 55w headlamp bulb for less than 2 minutes
I presume i've fried the regulator! :thumbsup:

Am I correct in this thought?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamestoo

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:11 AM

Is it safe to just bypass the regulator?

• 4Takt

Posted August 09, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Is there a load hooked up the the stator output?

I had a similar problem, 4+ V DC, turns out I had a partial short to ground in the handle bar switch unit that was dragging down the voltage.
I was also dumb enough not to use a fuse, so the regulator got very hot trying to deliver enough current.

Once I unplugged the switch unit the voltage jumped back up to where it should be, and I was able to trace down the short and fix it.

Using a fuse now btw, after realizing I could have set my bike on fire.

So anyway, try disconnecting everything and just measure the rectifier/regulator output to ground.

4Takt

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.