02 rear caliper on 05 ???

9 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 08, 2006 - 12:33 PM

will a 02 yz 426 rear caliper fit on a 05 yz 450,the reason being i think i need the 27 mm caliper of the 02 compared to the 25.4mm for more braking power with my rear hand brake :thumbsup: the m/c unit from rekluse has a 9.5mm piston,the only concern is will a larger caliper move enough with that size m/c? magura makes a 10 and a 13mm m/c,but i've been told that the smaller piston in the m/c will require less force;so will a larger piston in the caliper do what i'm looking for or make the situation worse?...any hydraulic junkies out there?

• ncmountainman

Posted August 09, 2006 - 02:47 PM

so does anyone know if the 426 rear caliper will interchange with the 450's???? i searched it and came up with they might swap but the 426 pads are bigger(by about 20%) and the 450 rotor is bigger by 5mm. sounds like it might work :thumbsup: gray,anyone??

• ncmountainman

Posted August 14, 2006 - 06:37 AM

HELLO>>>>is this thing on? somebody must know if it'll fit :thumbsup: has anyone put a 03-05 caliper on a 426? i guess if it works that way it would work the other. i'd really hate to buy one just to find out it won't work :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:10 AM

If I knew NC I would tell you.............. :thumbsup:

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:20 AM

swingarm will be the same 02-05, so if you get the caliper and the caliper bracket that the axle goes through it may work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 14, 2006 - 07:57 AM

cool,sounds like i just need to lay out the complete assembly for each and see what fits :thumbsup: gotta love a frankenbike! the feller that bought my old WR has to consult with me everytime he works on it, there were so many things changed around :ride: now i just need a 02 donor bike :applause:

• essex426

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:25 AM

cool,sounds like i just need to lay out the complete assembly for each and see what fits :thumbsup: gotta love a frankenbike! the feller that bought my old WR has to consult with me everytime he works on it, there were so many things changed around :ride: now i just need a 02 donor bike :applause:

I just fitted 450 wheels to my 426,and the disc was bigger,but no problems fitted right up.
So think you will be ok.
Now back to running a 9.5 magura, can pull lever to bars, but feels more like front brake lever than 10.5,easier on the hand.

• essex426

Posted August 14, 2006 - 09:44 AM

will a 02 yz 426 rear caliper fit on a 05 yz 450,the reason being i think i need the 27 mm caliper of the 02 compared to the 25.4mm for more braking power with my rear hand brake :thumbsup: the m/c unit from rekluse has a 9.5mm piston,the only concern is will a larger caliper move enough with that size m/c? magura makes a 10 and a 13mm m/c,but i've been told that the smaller piston in the m/c will require less force;so will a larger piston in the caliper do what i'm looking for or make the situation worse?...any hydraulic junkies out there?

Just re-read your post, think you might have more braking power with what you are already running.
Going with bigger caliper piston,or smaller master cylinder piston,reduces lever pressure i think.
10.5mm will lock mine easy but gets tiring,that's why i went back to 9.5mm.
What is the problem to heavy a lever, or not enough braking power.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 14, 2006 - 12:18 PM

not enough braking power after it heats up

• essex426

Posted August 14, 2006 - 01:14 PM

not enough braking power after it heats up

Did not get brake fade with the 10.5 mm, just hard work after a while.
Might be worse with the 450's smaller caliper piston.Or you could end up with popeye's forearm.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.